3 heavens?

by yxl1 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Carmel
    Carmel

Muhammed was transported I belive to the sixth heaven where he conversed with prophets past and future.

Carmel

• Reslight
    Reslight

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago -- whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows -- such a one was caught up [seized upon, carried away -- Strong's #726, harpazo] to the third heaven. And I know such a man -- whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows -- how he was caught up [carried away -- Strong's #726, harpazo] into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter." -- 1 Corinthians 12:2-4, New King James Version.

Someone has asked us if 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 proves that paradise is in heaven. Our studies have shown that every time the word "paradise" is used in the Bible, it refers either to the original paradise in the Garden of Eden, or the paradise to be restored in the age to come.

In 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 the apostle Paul states that he was seized [Strong's #726, harpazo] into the third heaven and to paradise. What is this "third heaven?" The Bible elsewhere answers this. The apostle Peter tells us that "by the word of God the heavens were of old, the earth standing out of the water and in the water: whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished." (2 Peter 3:5, King James Version) Thus the first heaven and the first earth passed away in the flood of Noah's day. Peter continues: "But the heavens and earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men." (2 Peter 3:6, KJV)

Here we have the second heaven and the second earth. But Peter further tells us: "Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for a new heaven and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness." (2 Peter 3:13, KJV) So from this we can see that the apostle Paul was seized in time to the third heaven, the "new heaven," and paradise, "the new earth."

They are not referring to new planets, nor to heavens ranged one above another, as many have supposed, but to the third of three great periods of time, beginning with man's creation and extending into the illimitable future. The first of these periods, termed the first heavens and earth--the old order of things--passed away with the Deluge of Noah's day. The second period, "the heavens and the earth which are now," the present order of things, are reserved of God to pass away with a great symbolic fire of trouble -- revolution, etc. -- which will utterly destroy the present spiritual powers and the present social arrangements. -- 2 Peter 3:6,7; Galatians 1:4; Zephaniah 3:8,9.

The third great period is to be a "world without end," under Divine administration. This will be the third heavens and the third earth, or the new heavens and the new earth, which will differ from the present condition of things in that they will be righteous! whereas the present arrangement is imperfect, unrighteous. The "new heavens" will consist of the new spiritual ruling powers of the future -- Christ the Head, and the Church His Body. The present heavens consist of the nominal religious systems which, while claiming Christ for their Head, nevertheless bow in a very large degree to Antichrist, "the god of this world," "the prince of this world," "who now worketh in the children of disobedience," and who is captivating and blinding the whole world, with the exception of the few whose eyes of understanding have been opened, who are under special blessing and leading, who are taught of God -- the Little Flock, "heirs of the Kingdom."--Ephesians 2:2; 2 Corinthians 4:4.

"THE PARADISE OF GOD"

It is to this new heavens and new earth condition, this Paradise of God, that Revelation 21:1-4,22-27 speaks of. As the "new heavens" do not mean a new place for God's Throne, so the "new earth" does not mean another planet. The "new heavens" are a new condition, the spiritual power and control of Christ and His glorified Church; so the "new earth" means a new social order on this planet -- "the new heavens and earth"--constituting the world to come -- "wherein dwelleth righteousness." (2 Peter 3:10-13.) The declaration of our lesson is that the former heavens and the former earth -- which are now -- will then have passed away and will be no more. All present institutions are to perish utterly in the great Time of Trouble with which this Age is very shortly to end.

-- Excerpt from my work on the RL website; for the entire study, see:
    http://reslight.addr.com/thirdheaven.html

Love in the name of Jesus,

Ronald

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit