Does the GB direct cult members to burn old books?

by mickbobcat 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I was told but can not find anything concrete that the cult GB directs cult members to burn old cult books and literature. Is this true.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Yeah mickbobcat,sort of.

They sent a letter to cong elders a couple of years ago instructing them to sort their libraries at kingdumb halls and to go through literature stored for use and discard certain older items. Some were to be displayed and then discarded. The letter also specified which older books, tracts, booklets were no longer to be displayed or held in the above-mentioned libraries. I will try and find the letters.

jtg

P.S. bold italics are my addition.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Has the branch asked members to burn old books? No

Has the branch asked congregations to burn older items?

Each year, individual branches send letters to the congregation instructing which items to display, and which to discard. Our congregation, being a non-english congregation, asked the branch to elaborate what 'discard' means. The branch replied that discard meant to remove them from the Kingdom hall, by either giving them out to the publishers who needed them, and if no one needs them, then destroy them rather than letting them rot in the storeroom.

What about older publications from the Library?

Below are the latest instructions (as of 2020):

"Since some publishers and interested persons do not use computers or electronic devices, the elders should give careful consideration to the needs of such individuals when making decisions as to the Kingdom Hall library, especially before deciding to eliminate printed publications. If the publications will be provided in electronic form, such as on a device or on a computer, a printer should be made available. At least one responsible brother should be assigned to keep the library up-to-date and in good order.

In the event that the bodies of elders decide to eliminate printed publications from the library, care should be taken not to discard items that have historical significance. The branch office may wish to add such items to its library or to its archive of historical materials." - sfl Chap 21, Para 39-40

Not sure about other countries, but here there is no direction to destroy all older books. Most of the older congregations still have libraries with one copy of each printed publication.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

There has not been any formal instruction to burn old books. However there have been instructions to discard many old publications that were previously offered to the public. There have also been instructions to destroy (without specifying a method) publications not intended for the public, such as old elders’ manuals.

• Gorb
    Gorb

I remember in 2007 a letter was read to the congregation that the library would be screened for non-jw and older jw books that would be removed.

Direct after the meeting I rushed to the library and saved the valuable books my family donated to it. I also saved a bible students birthday agenda daily havenly manna that was in the library. I still have it.

G.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My wife’s congregation got rid of its library at the direction of some bod from the Bethel. However some dubs took them home and keep them.

The direction to get rid of old stocks of campaign literature is different

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The WTS does everything but burn books.

The GB: "We are God's one true organisation on Earth. We give people The Truth. But our truth has a time limit on it. Only apostates read and quote from our older literature."

Never in my life have I met anyone with a more punchable face, until we met Stephen  Lett : exjw

Yeah, whatever you say crazy guy …

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I can't say a KH library serves much purpose anymore, if it ever did. I could see it being discontinued

My father had in his possession some of the local congregation's correspondence dating to the '40s when the congregation was formed, like the letters that established the congregation, etc. I thought it was pretty interesting at the time, and that it should be kept for interest and local history. But none of the young elders wanted the stuff around, and I think it was eventually thrown away.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

They don't ask them to burn books per se, but they do tell them to discard old books, as other posters have pointed out. The apparent aim is to keep Witnesses from seeing that they're being spoonfed the same bullshit that's been fed to Witnesses for decades before them.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

mickbobcat:

2012--2020 Publications Approved For Discard

Atlantis!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit