What Is "Counsel" and How Does It Work?

by Cold Steel 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I will add that when my husband was first appointed, the then new PO said to the rest of the elders,

"It's my way or the highway"

We were planning to transfer to a new congregation (as suggested by the CO to avoid this power mongering elder) before this. His statement capped it.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Can't these people just go to church without all this...excitement? Just what sort of tyranny goes on?

When I took the Bible Study, the two fellows who came over were very nice and unconfrontational. I asked them a question they didn't know the answer to and they said they would research it and answer me the following week. I knew these guys fairly well by this point and they liked sticking around and shooting the breeze (I think they counted it on their stats because after the studies we tended to discuss other things that were of a more secular nature.)

The next week only one of the guys came by, but he had a rather bombastic man with him...all business. We got right to the study and he got right to the little book. The guy I knew introduced him as an elder and gave him considerable deference to the point he barely looked at me.

The elder was Type A all the way and his back never touched the couch, but he sat straight up and on the edge. He asked me questions from the book, and if I didn't answer them correctly and succinctly, he wanted to know why. He finally brought up the question I'd had and now my pioneer friend was staring right through him and nodding every time he made a point.

The elder was rude and obnoxious and acted like he was a police detective. He couldn't answer my question but said he would research it. Then they excused themselves and left. Well, they never came back nor did they call. And they left me with a few of their books, one with notes and the dates that the reader had finished each chapter. They were supposed to be on loan, but I still have them. I know it wasn't the idea of the original two guys not to return so I assume it was the elder.

And here I thought I'd just gotten a peach!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

COLD STEEL:

I'm not going to argue with you. If you want to say you're anointed, that's your business.

However, I remember one elder who always used to stress that being anointed is not a "choice", but that the person is chosen. It's not something somebody can work towards.

As far as you wanting to "fly first class", you are not alone because many in the religion want to. This is why I'm GLAD I hardly put anything in those contribution boxes. They could go fly a kite, especially since they criticized people with full time jobs or careers.

I feel all religions are like this with the few at the top wanting an easy life with suckers supporting them.

I'd never get involved with any religion ever again.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    StuckInARut2 » There is NEVER any room for a "lesser" witness to reply to or kindly object to the "counsel."

Well, what happens if one not so kindly objects to counsel? I imagine with so many converts coming in, there might be some misunderstanding if one isn't used used to receiving it. Not many people would enjoy receiving unsolicited feedback on how they lead their lives, tech their lessons or give their talks. In fact, imagine if a lowly member were to counsel an elder. Would the elder be ticked off? Probably so. But then, it's a normal reaction for anyone.

It makes me wonder how newly baptized members are trained in these ways.

What are some of the most objectionable counsels you've received (And this is an open question to everyone.)

LongHairedGal » m not going to argue with you. If you want to say you're anointed, that's your business.

It most likely wouldn't do any good arguing with such people, which is why those in power don't contest it. This is one of the worst doctrines in the religion as it makes no sense. It's clear Jesus was resurrected with a physical body (at least that's what the New Testament teaches). Still, one misinterpreted doctrine leads to another, and another. I know it's not supposed to be a choice, but the only way a person would know is if God revealed it to them, and the Society says this is not possible as revelation no longer is possible.

However, I remember one elder who always used to stress that being anointed is not a "choice", but that the person is chosen. It's not something somebody can work towards.

As far as you wanting to "fly first class", you are not alone because many in the religion want to. This is why I'm GLAD I hardly put anything in those contribution boxes. They could go fly a kite, especially since they criticized people with full time jobs or careers.

I feel all religions are like this with the few at the top wanting an easy life with suckers supporting them.

I'd never get involved with any religion ever again.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

One elder counselling a C/O ? Theoretically yes, but human feelings come into play. How does your boss at work like it if you tell him he is wrong?

Even with elders counselling the r & f members , it only goes well if a) a lot of tact is used and b) the person can see the point and knew it already really.

An awful lot of bad feeling is caused by well meaning but clumsy counsel. Things said can be remembered for decades!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit