JW Refutations of Criticism of Russell and Rutherford

by Duvduv 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Duvduv
    Duvduv

Can someone direct me to JW refutations of the harsh criticisms of Charles Russell and Judge Rutherford that are on the internet and YouTube? I am a fair person and insist on hearing both sides to a controversy. In this case, I would like to know what traditional YW responds to such personal criticisms and alleged changes in beliefs. Thanks.

• vienne
    vienne

download the Watchtower CD.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Read the Proclaimers book - that pretty much sums up the Watchtower side of the story.

Then get a hold of a series of articles in Watchtower from the early days called "Harvest Siftings" and you'll see both sides of the Rutherford takeover were actually published, but only one side is represented in the Proclaimers version. There are many scholars who have done thorough independent research on the early days of the Society and if you do your own research you will quickly discover that the Proclaimers book is revisionist history at its finest. There is no discussion of some of the Watchtowers greatest controversies like the Walsh trial or the Moyle trial. Also look up the Societies own actual membership statistics which are available in the predecessor of the Proclaimers book, "JW's in the Divine Purpose" and you will clearly see that around 75% of followers left the org after the controversial failed Rutherford prophesy of 1925, not just "a few disgruntled members" that the Proclaimers book claims.

• Duvduv
    Duvduv

I'm sorry, I don't know what CD to download. Are there any videos or websites to check?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Also if you want one of the most balanced, unbiased, and thorough critiques of Russell and the very early days, B.W.Schulz & R.M Vienne (who post here occasionally I think) are some of the best and most diligent scholars publishing material on this era. You can get their books on Lulu.

• vienne
    vienne

doubt,

Yes, I post here occasionally. Thanks for the kind words about our book. I didn't recommend it because it's not a defense of Russell and Rutherford is seldom mentioned in it. But yes, an honest seeker after historical 'truth' would benefit from reading Separate Identity. [We're busy finishing volume 2] and maybe our biography of Barbour.

There is also our history blog: http://truthhistory.blogspot.com/ Click on the older posts link at the bottom to browse. Links to our books are on the sidebar.

R. M. de Vienne, PhD

• Duvduv
    Duvduv

Is it fair to say there isn't really a second side of the dispute as far as Russell and Rutherford are concerned? What are the implications for what became the JW after the 1930s, and especially after Rutherford died?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

@vienne, really looking forward to volume 2.

I would love it if you continued on into the Rutherford era. But understand the enormous amount of work that is involved. What you have done so far is much appreciated.

• vienne
    vienne

Dear doubt,

Dr. Schulz is very old, and I have health issues. But we have books outlined to 1977. Don't know if we'll ever write them because of circumstances, but I'd love to do it.

• vienne
    vienne

Doubt,

There will also be a volume 3. We found unexpected things, documents we did not know still existed. So we shaved off the end of vol 2 knowing we had enough for a third volume. ... Stay tuned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit