Observation of Sam Heard at Regional Convention in Dayton, OH

by LevelThePlayingField 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Heard gave 3 talks at the convention. One thing I noticed rather quickly was how stuck he was to his notes. He rarely looked up. And then I realized that, he was actually reading everything word for word. But he was literally reading everything. He held up his notes, the audience could clearly see them. He read everything, including scriptures.

One of his talks was in order to release a new Bible story book. So he was reciting about 4 or 5 bible stories. And you would think that he would be able to just look at the audience and recite the story right? No. He read each story word for word. Every once in a while he would loose his place, and it was on something so simple, like "So Daniel was about to....(3 seconds later... be eating by the lions, but no, Jehovah..." It was stuff like that, that got me really looking at this guy.

He never just talks. Never, unless he cracks a joke. My first thought was, 'this guy's loosing it in his old age, so he has to give manuscript talks only'. He kept shuffling the pages, one to the other and at the end of each talk he would read things like, "Well, friends, we truly have been instructed by Jehovah...." but he would read those words and NOT look at the audience at all when he should be able to extenperaniously (spelling) speak those things. It should just come from the heart right?

I mean, the guy has like 150 years of full time service, right? So why doesn't he have an idea of his own like all the other speakers that were before and after him. My thought, is that he's getting to the point where he's so old he can't have thoughts that just flow like that. If he gave a talk like any of the three he gave at the convention, he would be pulled aside after the school and counseled. But everybody just lapped it up. :(

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    It's manuscripts all around at a DC when it comes to a talk for a literature release. No room for adlibs allowed. I did one years ago and it was a strictly manuscript proposition. Even GB who have the talk have to read it. Most of the public talks are like that as well. You're simply attending the WT study for the next year. BORING AS HELL AND JUST AS USEFUL.
  • waton
    waton

At ~82, and anointed, the danger is, that the connection to reality is slipping, and all wt needs is a whiff of novelty, if errant.

ps: Level the playing field: Dayton Ohio was the home of the Wright brothers, flying freely, now it is the wrong brothers, mired in manuscripts. because a slip might say the truth, the [w]right thing.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

One other thing of note, was that Heard has the last part on the last day of the convention. It was about how we know the end is near. He said absolutely nothing about how we know the end is near. Really. He didn't read Matt 24 or anything. All he said was "all the prophecies in the Bible, as all you dear brothers and sister know, are being fullfilled right now. So we know the end is very close". That was it. Nothing about imminent or anything, well, that is until Tony tight pants had a video at the last minute. He said the end is imminent.

Yeah, Tony, I know. It's been imminent for 138 years. So what's new.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Everything at a convention is scripted. I did a part a few times, everything from the "personal experiences" to the watchtower study is scripted by up high. The personal experiences are literally rewritten and generalized.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Give the man a break. He's probably discovering 'new light' in the manuscripts for the first time. His lips move as he reads but in his mind he's thinking: "WTF, is this what we now believe? I'm sure the faithful slave know what they're doing, even if I don't. Must concentrate. Must listen, obey, and be blessed. I hope my bed sheets have been folded back."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well he is getting old.

Back in the day he could wax lyrical extemporaneously on how women are not as smart as men and what can turn people gay.

There are YouTube videos.

• zeb
    zeb

I watched with concern as new elder gave such a talk he is a natural conversationalist and this talk was just quoting 'the party line'.. it was one of my first wake ups that who ever was reporting this guy in was successful/not was a judas for a terrible power network.

and jw leaks you make very valid obs.

• Funchback
    Funchback

At my last convention ever, at Nassau Coliseum in New York, I forget which governing body member it was, but he had the closing prayer on the last day. It was sooooo long. In fact, I opened my eyes and saw he was reading his prayer, word for word, from a paper.

• steve2
    steve2

In fact, I opened my eyes and saw he was reading his prayer, word for word, from a paper.

"Jehovah, I know you are all-knowing and all-powerful and will know what I am about to say before I say it.

But just in case you've been flooded with prayers of late, I'm just saying this reminder prayer again to jog your memory.

In Jesus' name. Amen."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit