Jury duty???

by Strawberryfieldsforever 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I was just wondering if jury duty was considered taking part in the world. I just found out that my Mom had jury duty a few months ago and went! I've never been a registered voter and thought you had to register to be called to jury duty. I really don't know about this. I guess it's from being a sheltered JW too long. Any answers?

• maxwell
    maxwell

I don't remember ever reading anything that would indicate this to be bad for JW. But knowing JW, it could be somewhere. As you stated since jury usually are pulled from voter registration, it rarely becomes and issue, but in the past week, I read in somewhere that some jurisdictions are starting to do jury selection from other lists like property tax lists or drivers license. And that really makes more sense if you really want a jury of peers.

• dustyb
    dustyb

yep, jury duty is being involved in political matters, judging other people's fate (ironic it seems). I'd still go to jury duty because i dig law and whatnot, who cares what the society has to say.

• dustyb
    dustyb

er, i meant to say that it's looked down upon by the society, and if they find out your mom will probably be counciled....what i was tryin to get to

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Strawberryfields..

Here in Nova Scotia... The WTS does not want you to serve jury duty..for the reasons that dustyb stated.

I know a J.W. who went before the judge and told of their religious J.W. stand and was then exempted.

I was called for jury duty about 5 years ago. I forgot to go to the screening for it (nobody calls to remind you).. and I got off easy. The judge frowns on people not coming and I guess I could have been in alot of trouble. Luckily, the judge had more than enough who the lawyers agreed could serve on the jury and let me slide by.

When you go for screening both the prosecutor and defence lawyers are present. They ask you some questions and they both have to agree that they want you as part of the jury. If one or the others says NO.. then you are free to go.( This is what I've been told happens here..but never experienced it personally)

Here in Nova Scotia.. you can be called for jury duty if you pay property taxes. And since my husband and I own real property and pay taxes on it.. that is why they could radomly select me.

sincerely

Special K

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

In New York city when a selection of jury takes place, on of the first quesions asked is if any one is a Jehovahs Witness. JWs can go to attend jury duty, but they must tell the judge they are JW's and thier consciences would not permit them to participate in a trial. Usually after two or three days of this they are allowed to go home with a notice that they served.

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Here in PA you're selected according to property rolls. My husband was picked about 7 or 8 years ago, we asked a few brothers what to do, there are articles that say it's a conscience matter, "would you want to be guilty of wrongly judging someone," as if they don't do it all the time!

Anyway, when hubby got there the judge gave a big lecture about not wanting to hear any one trying to get out of serving for any reason, religious or otherwise. And since D. was the only one with a suit on, he was picked as jury foreman! It was a drunk driving case, and the judge was known for throwing the book at people. The guy got off, the judge was angry, and D. had a good laugh.

(The guy was a working stiff who only messed up once)

Kat

• dustyb
    dustyb

ya, they say its a "conscience" matter. but what they don't tell you is that the WTS owns your conscience and that they're going to make you feel as guilty as you can possibly feel for sentencing that guy to bubbah and his big oversized...chicken

• Sassy
    Sassy

I agree, it is considered a conscience matter. I know some who refuse and some who have done it. I haven't been asked yet.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I gave a #5 talk on the subject back around 1980. At that time, it was considered a concience matter. You could serve if you wanted to.

As for being a registered voter, in Canada the eligible jury list is taken from the election enumerator's list. This could be obtained either by the enumerator coming to your door, or from your tax return if you select that option. There is nothing wrong with a Witness being enumerated (this is different from registering as a voter in the US - it's more like a census).

I was called about 7 years ago, but my number didn't come up, so I got to go home. While there, I saw another Witness who had been called up. He didn't get selected either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit