Believers ? I need your input ? elder called and left my mother in tears

by acsot 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    help her think that she?s okay in God?s eyes

I've always liked this:

1 Corinthians 13

13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but I do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 13:2 And if I have prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so that I can remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 13:3 If I give away everything I own, and if I give over my body in order to boast, but do not have love, I receive no benefit.

13:4 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not envious. Love does not brag, it is not puffed up. 13:5 It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered or resentful. 13:6 It is not glad about injustice, but rejoices in the truth. 13:7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

13:8 Love never ends. But if there are prophecies, they will be set aside; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be set aside. 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part, 13:10 but when what is perfect comes, the partial will be set aside. 13:11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. But when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. 13:12 For now we see in a mirror indirectly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I have been fully known. 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Ascot, You are caring for your mother and respecting her while protecting her. That's about as great as a person can get in my book. GaryB

• acsot
    acsot

godd&mmit Gary I'm at work and now I'm getting all teary-eyed ... you're sweet, thanks.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ascot:
    May I just say that for an "unbeliever" I am incredibly impressed at the lengths you are going to to make your mother comfortable. You are acting in a better way than many "believers".

Every blessing.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The video i saw wasn't as flamboyant as hollywood. It was reasonably close to the gospels, although, it accented the antiestablishment jesus.

SS

• acsot
    acsot

Ahh, you guys are so great! Thanks for all the PMs and info. It's quite amazing how serene and comforting another translation can be. We did Psalm 23 last night, a pretty obvious choice I guess! The psalm is short, and mum was tired, the cat was claiming her place on the pillow, so the evening ended with a laugh and some comfort.

In comparison to the NEB, the NWT is pretty dry, especially in the Psalms. Seems like the organization follows the tone set by its translation.

SS: I did a Canada411 search for the store but came up with nothing. The video sounds good, maybe I'll pick it up on Saturday after I have my cawfey .

• azaria
    azaria

I’m in agreement with all the other posters. You sound very caring and wise. You handled yourself amazingly well; that you put your own feelings aside for your mother. I think a lot of us could learn from this; I certainly can. Also the fact that you stood up to the elder was pretty courageous. One doesn’t have to go to church or the kingdom hall to feel the presence of God. He is with her in her own home, so how can He miss her. I like Ephesians 2:4-10. When my daughter had panic attacks (one being that she didn’t think she was good enough) I read this to her, and it helped her tremendously. She then realized that salvation was a gift because one believed and the works one does is not to be saved but because one is saved. So your mother shouldn’t feel that she has to go to meetings at this time, she doesn’t have to feel guilty about not being able to go door to door. That God loves her and understands. If you don’t like NWT have you considered NIV? I personally like the KJV but maybe the wording is too different from the the NWT for her. I just looked up the word peace in the Strong's Concordance and found Psalm 34 1-5. Take care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit