The boasters are the worst

by stillin 11 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

My elder brother-in-law has ALWAYS led his life the best possible way. His talents make others' talents look piddly. His kids are the brightest high-achievers within a hundred mile radius. He has always done things Jehovah's Way and he has an aura of judgement about him. He doesn't mind snooping into other people's personal affairs but he'll make it very clear that his life is none of your business, unless he thinks he sees an opportunity to boast. The Kingdom comes first and where else would he go?

He's old enough to retire. This is pathetic. He needed to borrow $50 yesterday. I don't hold it against anybody if they have fallen on a bad patch in their life. Stuff happens. But $50? For the guy who has always had life by the nuts? Yes, I loaned it to him. If he had asked for $1000, I probably would have found a way to loan it to him. But we'll see how this goes. I may be getting off cheap.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Stillin: we'll see how this goes. I may be getting off cheap.

Lol!

I have used that tactic for years. The easiest way to get rid of unwanted "friends" is to lend them money. They will avoid you like the plague

Effective, simple and cheap

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

But we'll see how this goes. I may be getting off cheap.

Without a doubt! My JW BIL owes us $5000 and won't talk to us (not to be confused with the fact that he has no problem talking ABOUT us -- Yeah...........HE won't speak to us and WE are the a**holes).

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"The Kingdom comes first"

This is WHY he had to borrow $50 from YOU! lol

His "spiritual achievements" are boasted about but they could care less about any success or achievement you and your family may have had to work hard for. See, those are "worldly pursuits" THEIRS are "kingdom interests." It's amazing how they will criticize you all day long for all you have done but have no qualms about borrowing your money (money made from hard work and higher education).

Sound familiar? Watchtower criticizes those who pursue higher education BUT they have no problem USING those skills you have to benefit them (doctors, lawyers, nurses, engineers, etc.). Mother (WT) has taught its offspring (the arrogant members) very well. The nut doesn't fall far from the nut tree!!!

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    Sound familiar? Watchtower criticizes those who pursue higher education BUT they have no problem USING those skills you have to benefit them (doctors, lawyers, nurses, engineers, etc.)

And they have no problem trying to guilt you into going in extra debt to give them money. "Don't do anything to earn extra money, but make sure you put giving us your money ahead of everything else!"

• blownaway
    blownaway

Are you paying him to go away or so you can walk away? I would tell him to ask the congregation or pound sand. I have some small fights with my wife about helping her parents. They were condescending and though me never good enough witness to marry her. Now they are in abject poverty and I don't feel the need to help. I am sorry they are in that position but they made every link in the chain.

• stillin
    stillin

Blownaway, you have to understand where this guy comes from. The whole family is toxic. The father was a self-righteous, rule-making braggart of a child molester. I realized too late that I was going to have to keep this bunch at arms length, including my wife, unfortunately.

But I have no guilt at all about not spending every dollar I get my hands on. I have earned well, invested well, and lived well. Why should I feel guilty, right? If my BIL blew it he'll have to live with it. I do 't have room at my house.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Yes, I loaned it to him. If he had asked for $1000, I probably would have found a way to loan it to him.

Congratulations, you now are the channel of "Jehovah's Loving Provision" (for him, that is)!

• stillin
    stillin

Oh, crap!

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Id sooner lend money to one of my neighbours then any of my JW family especially my alcoholic, gambling addicted Ministerial servant bro in law

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit