MLK

by Seven 17 Replies latest jw friends

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

Nathan:

Show me a "great" person, and I will show you why they are not.

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

Wow...this is a great thread.

I think there are many people of MLK's caliber out there. I think the problem is that nobody sees the problem.

Here?s too all the people still devoting their lives to human rights, everywhere, everyone!

(BTW...feel like being active? Visit here: http://www.datadata.org/flash.php)

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    We have a dream. Someday, quiet people leading lives of unheralded
    virtue and real productivity will be honored. Someday all people, black
    and white, will realize that the real heroes aren't the ones giving
    speeches filled with bombastic rhetoric. Real heroes are quietly doing
    real work: building houses, writing software code, nursing the elderly,
    parenting the young - the whole cornucopia of human endeavor that
    actually results in better lives for real people.

And if not for those who aren't so "quiet" who have the courage to take the risk and STAND UP - it might not be as possible for others to be quietly "doing real work" in as many ways as it is possible now and will be in the future.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Yes, indeed, a day to remember: Martin Luther King Day.

• alias
    alias

:)

• Draconian
    Draconian

Martin Luther King Jr. was not all he was cracked up to be. He was the adulterous "Bill Clinton" of his time. His name wasn't even real, he was born "Michael" and only changed it to "Martin Luther" because MLK Sr. was calling himself that. He had ties to Communism and plagiarized the work of another to get his Ph.D.

More facts are available from http://www.martinlutherking.org Celebrating holidays for an adulterer will be beyond the pale of the United States and so leaders won't go for it, and certainly won't go for it when FBI surveillance tapes of King "relaxing" in hotel rooms become unsealed in the year 2037.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Like many polictical activists MLK used the pulpit to get his following. Why can't these guys just get a following without using a church, or reverend title. The man had some good qualities and saw much injustice in this country, however like the Rev Jackson, or Rev sharpton he had to use the "church" to get a crowd..

• maxwell
    maxwell

I think it would have been kind of hard to get people motivated on principle alone. MLK made a lot of statements that stand on their own merit with no help from the Bible as a reference. But I think a lot of the motivation and hope for the regular people walked with him came from a belief that God was with them and that God was helping them. The references to Moses, getting to the promised land, using the principles of Jesus, etc. made people's nerves hard enough to go out and march even though they knew people were going to commit acts of violence against them.

Even today, I think it would be interesting to have a presidential candidate who was totally logical and perhaps had no belief in God and therefore did not try to apply any religious beliefs in government. But I doubt that any candidate who is not Christian could get elected in this country. People value passion, feelings and Christianity over logic and reason. And I think for large numbers of people to do the things they did to fight racism, it took a lot of passion and feeling. Personally, I'm agnostic, but religion provides a ready-made source for a lot of passion and feeling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit