Still refer to the jw bible?

by Frantic 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Frantic
    Frantic

Since most here are ex JW's, do you use/refer the new world translation of the jw's; or another christian bible, if any bible at all? Ive heard there is a satanic bible also.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have not used the JW bible in years, and never will again. Why read it when you know that the WTS changed some stuff in it to justify their beliefs?

One of the last verses in Revelations talks about not changing anything written in there. There are so guilty of that. I want no part of it.

Currently, when I do read the bible, I enjoy the study bibles.

• mustang
    mustang

You just about have to, to get the sense of the intent of some of their quotes.

Also, if you have the older, original, multi-volume early releases (or, better yet, the FAT version) of the NWT you will find pages of footnotes that aren't there any more.

As with any research, it becomes a matter of "comparative anatomy". You may need more than one version, no matter what you do.

This is why "parallel Bibles" exist. The same goes for bi- or multi-linguals (polyglots) and interlinear. One size doesn't fit all and the multiple views may be helpful to an understanding of the subject.

BTW, welcome, Frantic, I haven't seen you around before.

Mustang

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I use it for reference only.

I use the NIV

and ummm yes I have a copy of Anton Levey"s Satanic Bible (also for reference purposes)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes still use the New World - -easy to use -- I know it well so can find scriptures easier - use it in conjunction with the WTBTS Comprehensive Concordance - -so again makes it easy --and also use the CD - ROM which is also searchable -- so I use the NWT out of ease of use and laziness

• Frantic
    Frantic

Cheers Mustang! I dont post often, just like to read the threads on here.
    Why can't somebody give me the real "truth"??? You know.....every time I come to this site and read anti-jw posts, I get really angry, not at you guys, and not at the jw's, truth be told....I dont know who Im angry at, just disappointed there are toooo many bibles/religions out there to pick and choose from. I guess, nowerdays, its easier to do your own thing than to follow directions and orders.

Lady Lee, where did you get your satanic bible from? Im curious about the content.

Freedom, what parts did they change?

Andy.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    I guess, nowerdays, its easier to do your own thing than to follow directions and orders.

And who says you should follow directions and orders when it comes to religion? What gives any human being the right to give another human directions and orders about their own spirituality?

BTW, to answer your initial question... I sometimes use the NWT because it's conveniently located on the WT CD-ROM; and also, since I'm not a Christian, when I'm looking up a Bible verse it's often to discuss a JW belief.

I also have Interlinear Scripture Analzyer (which has the KJV), and I look up several translations (particularly the NASB) at unbound.biola.edu

Additionally, I have a few translations in hardcopy, but I rarely refer to them, since online versions are more convenient.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Lady Lee, where did you get your satanic bible from? Im curious about the content.

I got it at a second-hand bookstore. I had been working with people who had been in Satanic cults so thought it might be useful to check a few things out.

It contains information about rituals and holidays and the items used in their ceremonies

Chapters include:

• The Theory and Practice of Satanic Magic
    • The Ritual or "Intellectual Decompression" Chamber with rituals and convocations
    • The Black Mass
    • Life after Death through fulfillment of the ego
    • On the choice of a human sacrifice
    • Indulgence... not compulsion
    • Not all vampires suck blood!
    • Satanic Sex
    • Infernal Names

just a sample.

I haven't read it but have used it as a reference regarding certain dates and rituals that people have told me about. I actually had to go see if I still had it before I could post what was in it.

And NO I don't think it has any power over me (in case anyone is wondering). It's just a book

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I don't, except when I specifically want to check it on some matter. But for years it remained my mental reference because I knew it so well. When I wanted to locate a text the WT concordance was the best tool for me, since I had the NWT wording in mind. When I quoted something I had to "translate" it into "common wording". It's all over now, so I have to check it from time to time...

• Dawn
    Dawn
    there are toooo many bibles/religions out there to pick and choose from

You're right about that! And the funny thing is.....once I started actually reading the bible for myself (without the help of the WT thank you) it all seemed so much simpler. Religion is man-made....God is above that.

I use the NIV and the New American Standard. But I found another book that helped me out when I first started - it's the "Idiot's guide to the Bible" - sounds funny I know, but it takes the bible chapter by chapter and explains what's happening in an easy format. I found it helpful to see the entire bible from a point of view other than the borg. After I read that - then I read the book of John out of the Bible. It made a whole lot more sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit