by GinnyTosken 12 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Euphemism: good thoughts...

Ginny, where are you?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Ginny,

A very interesting post and some excellent comments so far. It is also a very hard subject to develop and answer for on a on-line Board, but Euphemism came as close to an answer as I think one can expect.

I suppose that each social situation that we find ourselves in is always going to default to a behavioral compromise that tries to balance practicality with integrity. I suspect that the balance is seldom achieved but perhaps the individuals motive, often the hardest thing to face, is more important than anything else.

Where XJW boards are concerned I am rather reminded of a Soccer Team Manager in the UK who once told his men "Football is not a life or death issue, it is much more important than that", and I do believe that many expect from these Boards things that they cannot or arguably should not be able to give. Boards that are moderated are never going to be completely fair to everybody, it is unrealistic to expect such given the diverse personalities, nationalities and social backgrounds of both posters and moderators.

If a person percieves their employment, religion, family or even on-line Board as establishing an ethical line over which they cannot cross, then they are of course well within their rights to take action to distance themselves from what offends them. They may of course take the decision to return at night and burn down their place of employment and this is where motives have to be questioned. After all, are they then willing to go on and burn down every building of every business that is guilty of the same offenses?

Best regards - HS

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I suppose this whole issue of social responsibility for me boils down to first trying to see how I can contribute positively. I've had a couple of jobs where I had to make the decision to stay and benefit a few people, complain and try to help more people or leave and protect myself. Whether it is on-line or at work or even socially I've tried to do a bit of each of the first two at least until I feel I am being personally harmed and am not any help to anyone.

I have been a champion of the underdog most of my life. It is a hard habit to break and I'm not sure I would feel good just walking away without saying anything. And I know speaking up winds up hurting me more than the complaining I have done.

But silence only hurts the innocent. And I refuse to be on the other side.

Still sometimes I need to step back and watch and decide which battles to fight and which ones to stay out of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit