the 'birdies'

by Mulan 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Did you ever see the movie Fargo? It starts with a screen saying "this is a true story". Then it ends, saying "the story you have just seen, is fiction." Or something like that. It grips you, and then tells you the truth. I would think people would realize a 3 year old does not have command of the language that is given to this little boy.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I did see Fargo. I loved it. I don't worry one bit about anyone mistaking Fargo for a true event. I do worry that many people will pass this off as reality.

Whatever else you say about this 'story', it is written in a way to try and convince people to believe that it is really true.

In fact, reviewing the way you presented it to us, I noticed you said "it didn't happen to me, but was e-mailed to me." I don't reconize that presentation as anything other than someone passing along a story that they assume to be true.

If people started all their urban legends with "this is of course, just a story..." or even "this is a true story...not!", then there would be some real humor in them. Maybe even, "I'm really just passing along this garbage to see how far it will go on the net. I had to make it especially heart-string tugging to get it circulated...".

You may not realize it, but those 'stories" are the one commonality every person who reads this board has. Most of us were fed "stories" as the "truth" since we were little babies.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Now, that is a good point. <<You may not realize it, but those 'stories" are the one commonality every person who reads this board has. Most of us were fed "stories" as the "truth" since we were little babies. >>

I totally agree with you. I should have made it clear that I was not sure as to how true it was. When I said it didn't happen to me, I didn't want people to start reading it and think I was the one telling the story. Anyway, you made your point. By the way, I totally thought the Fargo story was true, up until that phrase came on the screen, at the end. So much for my gullibility, eh?
    Mulan/Marilyn

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hehe. Yep.

I respect that you did not dig in your heels on this one, sis.

Hey, I'm as bewildered as anyone about what we humans will believe or not believe. I got took by my first "classic" urban legend (as opposed to the ones told as the voice of God) many years ago. It wasn't until I heard it told again a few years later, with a slight change in the players, that I realized it was b.s. I resolved not get taken, if possible, ever again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit