Rotator Cuff Surgery: Anybody Have Experience?

by GrreatTeacher 22 Replies latest watchtower medical

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

No real advice except follow the doctor's orders. If you tear the tear you probably will make it worse and at best have to start over. And don't go crazy eating unhealthy stuff while he is also not able to be active. It's easy to think of it as a vacation but this vacation will last 3 months. You can do a lot of damage to your waistline in those three months. Especially when you are sitting around most of the day.

My mother had both of hers done separately. She was back to normal pretty quick both times. She was in her mid to late 60s at the time. Normal equals out riding her bike, playing tennis and a somewhat physical job (X-Ray Technician)

I had mine done in 2014 or 15. My rotator cuff had torn completely off. Needless to say it took a lot longer than three months to get back to normal. The physical therapist commented how my doctor underlined "massive" twice on the paper work.

I work on a computer so I was back to work as soon as the oxy wore off.

I'm pretty sure my PT started almost immediately. Which, at first, was just them moving my arm around. That was just to keep my shoulder from getting stuck in the socket. I'm sure the machine Magnum mentioned is the same thing, I just payed a human to do it. Then I graduated to doing stuff at home like carefully carrying a couple of dishes and lifting mouse weights. (those 2 pound tiny weights that look like a mouse could bench press them).

The most uncomfortable part was I had to sleep on my back at an angle for the first few days. I"m not sure why, maybe so I wouldn't roll around. Picture sleeping on a reclined reclining chair. You'd think it would be somewhat comfortable but it wasn't!

Here's a picture of the doctor putting a screw in my shoulder. (I don't find it too gross but if you are extra squeamish you might want to pass)

https://i.imgur.com/JqMq2Qj.jpg

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It can take a while to recover and as others said, don’t move the arm which may be up to 3 months, they may do PT during that time, but that doesn’t mean you can move the arm outside the PT office. I have a family member who just went through this, they had to retrieve the tendon way down the arm and stretch and reattach it, so she is planning on having full motion after ~1-2 years of physical therapy. If they have to redo it, or reconstruct, she could have lost full motion.

Stick to the no-motion plan and then do the daily exercises physical therapy prescribes.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Oh one more piece of advice. I bought a couple packs of oversized T-shirts and tore the seam under the arm on the injured side enough so that I could get in and out of them without too much trouble.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

It sounds like the recovery is different for different severities of tears.

He has an appointment with the surgeon at the two week mark to take out the stitches, so we'll verify physical therapy guidelines then.

He has been looking at three separate physical therapy practices. One has a pool which he is interested in. We do have a home treadmill which he is allowed to use after he's off of the prescription painkillers (for reasons of stability).

Mynameislame, that's an excellent idea to buy extra large T shirts. Someone else had recommended extra large button down shirts. We'll probably try both.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

How do you feel about Hemp CBDs?

Some people find them helpful, some don't. CBDs are not marijuana and have no hallucinatory effect.

The are legal everywhere in the USA.

• minimus
    minimus

CBd is great but that won’t help this situation

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

He won't go for CBD. He goes to Pain Management for his spinal fusion, so they've had the discussion.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Had a rotator cuff issue, but not so serious that it required surgery. I remember it was so difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

I tried plasma replacement therapy and it seemed to help. You have some of your own blood taken and spun in a centrifuge to separate the plasma, which is then injected to the injured area.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I currently have a tear just below the Rotator Cuff. I had several doctors look at it and give me my options. I had a doctor who was only too happy to cut me up...only for the money. Another doctor was very helpful...said he'd have to cut through a lot of tissue, other tendons & muscle to get to the tear. He gave me a 70 to 80% recovery. He also said that atrophy might be a problem after surgery. My injury is not as painful as a rotator cuff tear. I opted to nurse it along & go without surgery...but of course, unlike your husband, I hardly have any pain. I currently have 80% use of my arm without surgery. I was also strongly warned that if I tear the tear I'm going to be in big trouble...it's been a good 15 years since the initial tear & I still nurse it along being very careful not to make the tear worse. Believe me when I say..."I feel for your hubby"!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks for that. I feel bad for the guy. He can't even pull the covers up in bed.

He'll say, "Okay, I'm ready to go to sleep. Can you pull the covers up for me now?"

Who wants to have to do that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit