Are JW's really seperate from the world?

by Andyman 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Andyman
    Andyman

I have done alot of posting on different boards since I started on the internet. I have found that JW's are really not as "seperate" from the world as they claim to be.

As a JW I was told we had to be "seperate" from the world. We weren't supposed to do the things that worldly people did. You know, get drunk, use drugs, abuse our families, cheat on taxes, lie, be greedy, etc.

But from what I have seen in my old congregtion, and the stories I have read here and on other boards, this statement isn't really true. JW's are just as much a part of the world as anybody else. Of course the magazines won't tell you that, but it is true.

I have been lied to and about by JW's, know they cheat on taxes, seen them get drunk and abuse alcohol and prescription drugs, abuse their families,and become greedy.

Now the picture the magazines paint is completly different. I have never meet one of the people they portray in the magazines, but they sound perfect. But do they really exsist?

I remember meeting a C.O. from the Spanish circuit. I was told he had been featured in either the Awake or Watchtower magazine, and they told all about how he had changed his life and now was a shinning example for the Christian congregation.

Well come to find out he was a fan of "Rush Linbaugh, and he and one of the elders in the spanish conregation, a white guy married to a spanish lady, would sit around and listen to Rush and bash the Democrats all day. Not very "nuetral" if you ask me. Of course the elder in this story is far from being nuetral when it comes to politics!

I know elders who pay other JW's unde the table so they can stay on welfare and not have to "claim" what they make, is that being no part of the world?

One elders wife does housework, makes more in a year than he does, but they don't claim any of it. How do I know? Well I was complaining about all the forms I had to fill out because we are self employed, and I mentioned the form for paying self employment taxes by the number of the form, and he asked which form is that? I told him and he said he just filled out the easy form, no deductions etc. I asked how he could do that when his wife was working for her self. Boy did I see a sick look on his face. Made some comment about "everybody" she worked for taking out taxes and such, then changed the subject. Now I know many of the people she works for and they don't take out taxes, they pay her "cash".

The same elder also worked for a family member, got paid cash, and never turned it in. So how are they different than those out in the world doing the same things? He gets the earned income credit every year, but makes way over the alloted amount if he was being honest, so where is the difference?

He also is so far in debt he will never get out. He is really praying for the "new system" to come and he won't have to worry about it any longer.

The big thing is he was cheating on his taxes, not paying his bills, and he still became an elder 7 years ago. Things haven't changed, except he is an elder. Hmmmmm wonder if because his father in law was one elder and his boss was the other one made any difference?????????

Yep, no part of the world, thats the JW motto!!!!

Would appreciate your take on this subject.

Andyman:

• Dubby
    Dubby

Good topic, Andyman.

I also know for a fact that several JW's I know work for cash under the table. Electrical contractor and a mason. These are JW owned businesses where I live that practice such things, and more. There are many JW cleaning businesses, but I don't know anything about those. "No part of the world."

The electrical contractor filed for bankruptcy, and changed the name of his company, then went back to work. The mason stole his own fleshly AND spiritual brothers' wife. Yes, a JW committed fornication with his own brothers' wife. When his brother divorced her, he married her. There were shots fired into the fornicating JW's car winshield by his own brother. Not pretty. Their dad is an elder. "No part of the world."

Elders start smear campaign against inactive publisher, get certain ones to write letters against him, and totally trash this brother. Why did they do this? The elders involved said he took money from different JWs and didn't repay. Not true. I know. I was one he supposedly stole from. The elders were frightened of him because many JW's would go to him for help with car problems, when they needed help building or fixing something. The elders didn't like their flock going to an inactive JW for help. They thought he was a bad influence. This guy did nothing but help people. The brothers' reputation was so badly damaged that he moved out of town. He is disabled now, and has nothing. He is considering a law suit. I talked to him just 2 weeks ago. "No part of the world."

There's much more.

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

Edited by - dubby on 26 July 2000 21:20:51

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I think we all know quite a few who not only were not following the "no part of the world" dictum, but who, in fact, were probably worse than most worldly people.

We had the sisters who were working and supporting themselves and their children when they first came into the "truth", who then quit and went on welfare so they could spend more time in service.
    They felt this was their due.

Then there was the JW chiropractor who was written up in the local paper for potential welfare fraud because she was treating all the welfare mothers and their children with chiropractic for things like temper tantrums and runny noses....and of course charging it all up to Medicaid.

Oh, and the pioneer sister who was constantly getting bailed out of jail by one of the elders after she had been picked up for drunk driving or hit and run accidents that occurred while she was drunk.

This same sister had quite a reputation for lewd conduct with the unbelieving mates of several sisters. No action was ever taken against her.

Then....the topper was the MS, married to an elder's daughter and well on his way to being an elder who committed murder while trying to get money to support his cocaine habit.

Ah, yes....the pristine lives of JW's.

• Andyman
    Andyman

Dubby;

Yes I also know JW carpenters who do work for their fellow JW's and never turn it in on their taxes. Heard one elder tell another one time that somebody needed some cement work done. The other elder said No at first, but when it was brought out he would be getting about $200.00 "cash" he changed his mind.

RedhorseWoman:

I know a sister, P.O.'s wife, who thinks she has the "healing" touch. She not only diagnosis other JW's and treats them, but sells them "miracle" cures, mostly vitamins.

She does something called "internal organ massage". She paid some lady who ran a bakery $100.00 for two lessons on how to do it. The lady from the bakery was making a killing practicing on JW's, and worldly people alike. Claimed to have been in practice in Arizona and California, but when she got caught in this state we found out she never had a clinic anywhere but in her basement. Now did that stop the JW's from going to her? No way, they took lessons to learn how to do it because she had to "leave" all of a sudden. The P.O.'s wife took up where she left off. "No part of the world", yeah you bet!

She also does a thing where she move her hands around a persons body, but doesn't touch them, yet she claims it heals them. Elders and their wives go to her, MS's and their wives, and even wordly people. Kind of like the local "witch doctor".

We had a sister who molsested a young boy, and a brother who molested his stepson. Both are still active JW's to this day. The brothers wife left him and took her children, but refused to press any charges at the advice of the elders, didn't want to make the society and the congregation "look bad". The sister molested a wordly boy who had been running wild, and his parents were into alcohol and drugs, the elders took care of that one too, but I don't know how it was done, it was before I started studying, but since my sister in law was the congregation gossip, we got all the juicy details! Helps when she is the P.O.'s wife.

Yep, what ever happens don't make the society look bad, thats the motto!

Take care.

Andyman:

• Zep
    Zep
    As a JW I was told we had to be "seperate" from the world. We weren't supposed to do the things that worldly people did. You know, get drunk, use drugs, abuse our families, cheat on taxes, lie, be greedy, etc.

Thats they the image put over in yer Magazines.Its just bollocks though, people are people.I've met a few dubs that are as worldy as they come, drugs, sex...etc.A Double life, i think its called eh!

• Andyman
    Andyman

Hi Zep;

Yep, your right the magazines put up a pretty good snow job trying to make the JW's seem better than any other religion, but it just isn't so!

They make a bit thing out of other relgions members doing "shady" things, but when it comes to them they feel that they can do anything and nobody should condem them for it. Now is that a double standard or what?

I have seen so many things as a JW that are far from Christian, yet they cover up their wrong doings, lie, etc. and they condem others for the same things. Why is that? Does God turn away and ignore the wrong doings of JW's? I don't think so!

One of the things that really started bothering me was the "hollier than thou" attitude many JW's have. I myself started to get that way, and my fleshly sister brought me back to reality. I am no better than the next person, and just befuase I was a JW, didn't make me better.

Another thing about the magazines that always got me was the fact that they kept ringing their own chimes all the time. I don't think I have ever read a magazine where they weren't telling the readers how great they were, or how much better they acted than other religions. I really got tired of that also.

But you have to admit the magazines are a great "propoganda" machine! Not completly truthful, but I guess that fits the "Theocratic Warfare" statagy!

Take care.

Andyman:

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, this is the way it goes. When people who are part of Christendom do something illegal or unethical, it is because they are not following God's word and are under the influence of Satan. Therefore, we should stay away from them.

If JW's do something illegal or unethical it is because they are imperfect....nothing more. We should...nay, must.....continue to associate with them because they are God's chosen people.

Ain't doublespeak grand?

• Dubby
    Dubby

Wouldn't it be way cool if a major tv news magazine like 20/20 did an expose' of the WTS? Maybe even a made for tv movie special or documentary exposing the WTS. It would be interesting to see the WTS spin doctors at work.

A phone call from 20/20 to the WTS:

"Yes, this is John Stossel at 20/20, may I speak to a mister Milton Henschel? Oh, he's on a cruise. What, you're willing to let me speak to the Society's legal department? Isn't there someone on the Governing Body I can speak to? Pardon me? They're all comatose or bedridden? What's that? You're willing to direct me to the Society's website? No, no, I don't want a subscription to the Watchtower. Really? I thought Fred Franz was dead? What? He still directs WTS doctrine?"

"And so, folks, once again we at 20/20 have failed to get an interview with the WTS. Good night folks, this is Babwa Watez at 20/20, and we'll see you next week when we take a Watchtower tour. We'll let you see first hand what goes on in the dank dark halls of the WTS's headquarters."

Edited by - dubby on 27 July 2000 21:0:59

• Xandit
    Xandit

Hey! What's wrong with Rush? He's my hero.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Xandit,

A man not afraid to speak his mind.....

whether you're serious or not, glad to see your words.

waiting

ps I don't like Rush myself - [i]but[/b] respect your askew freedom of choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit