What about birthdays do JWs forbid?

by imzadi 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• imzadi
    imzadi

Some recent threads on Christmas celebrations got me to thinking about birthdays. Do JWs forbid ANY aknowlegement of birthdays at all, or just the trappings of birthdays, such as cake, gifts and singing Happy Birthday? What specifically is forbidden and what is OK? Does it vary greatly between congregations?

Iz

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

To Jdubs, everything about b'days is verbotten with the exception of giving birth and being given birth....and those are acceptable only as long as you keep a low profile about it....

Frannie B

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Spin off question: I've never actually known a JW when they had a baby. Are baby showers okay? Is it okay to celebrate the birth?

• minimus
    minimus

Baby showers are ok as long as you don't worship the baby. Celebrating the baby's birth after that is considered worship------"baby worship".

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

The lamest excuse for why they don't celebrate birthdays has to be "it's a form of idolatry" / "it glorifies the person". Give me a break!!! What about the many other celebrations JWs may have for a person?

Birthdays were the most difficult thing for me to explain when I was a dub. I usually fell back on the tired old "pagan origins" reasoning.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Spin off question: I've never actually known a JW when they had a baby. Are baby showers okay? Is it okay to celebrate the birth?

SLM, baby showers used to be okay, but when I left the borg back in the early 90's, the elders here in the South were just beginning to "crack down" on even baby showers as borderline "baby worship".

Frannie B

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

That's insane. How are baby showers different from wedding showers? Aren't wedding showers "worshipping" the engaged couple?

I know. Preaching to the choir. :)

SLM

• Smyler
    Smyler

Somebodylovesme wrote

That's insane. How are baby showers different from wedding showers? Aren't wedding showers "worshipping" the engaged couple?

As far as I know, wedding showers are allowed.. We've had some at our house for people.

smyler

• jgnat
    jgnat

We really need Blondie and her magic CD searches. ...but we should give that woman allowances while she is on vacation. From the official website:

4. Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 40:20-22; Mark 6:21, 22, 24-27) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/rq/article_11.htm

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Yes, wedding showers are allowed... I just don't see why - since they are - baby showers wouldn't be. At least they have some sort of reason for birthdays, although I think personally Witnesses recognize and internally celebrate their b-days. I know a Witness who, despite being compliant with the faith, got really excited on each birthday and watched the clock for the "exact time" she was born. No cake, but certainly recognition.

anyway...

SLM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit