WHY are there no mentally challenged new JW's...?

by Rabbit 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I was wondering -- WHY so many churches (even with all there own faults) seem to have Social programs, where they help support the poor, and homeless? Many -- WELCOME Mentally slow or retarded people into their churchs...why not Witnesses?

I once got an answer that, "Jehovah knows their hearts and will keep them safe in the end." I asked why can'y we start a study...? "Because, they probably could not understand what they were reading." I guess they would never pass the baptism tests and questions ?

Also, I was corrected in my assumption that there ARE none...because, so & so, "sister has a child that is autistic and that kid is at all the meetings." Of course I was talking about NEW witnesses!

Just wondering -- any thoughts?

--Lee

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't see this scripture quoted at the KH very often:

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. I Corinthians 13:2 NIV

http://www.larchecanada.org/what1.htm

• shamus
    shamus

There are ones in the truth. I have worked with them.

Oh, and it's called "Developmental Disabilities, not mentally challenged. They keep changing the way we speak of them. (hard to keep up sometimes)

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

Hello. I have recently done a research project on people with disabilities and religion. First, people who have mental disabilities, while do not seem intelligent to some of us, have their own thought processes and feelings (as valid as ours).

While my research did not focus on Jehovah's Witnesses, I did my own thinking about the subject because of my previous affiliation. I believe that in a way Jehovah's Witnesses actually recruit mentally disabled people. For example, many of the controlling elders could be diagnosed obsessive compulsive and many of the pedophiles could also be seen as disabled (chemical imbalance???). But in respect to new members in the congregation, people with disabilies are a good target for Jehovah's Witnesses. Because they are often treated as not intelligent members of society, they are easily told what to do. Plus, because most of society cannot accept people with disabilities, the hope of paradise where everyone is accepted and perfect (i.e. non-disabled) is especially luring.

However, the problem is that once they become Jehovah's Witnesses, people do not know what to do with them. In truth, they are waiting to be fixed. This puts hold on their lives. They are not allowed to accept their disability as part of their person but must fight it through faith and obedience. The problem occurs emotionally when the end never comes and faith doesn?t cure them. This actually stands for all disabled people (i.e. including physical disabilities). When society in general is so bent on making everyone relatively perfect (i.e. normal), the person doesn?t take time to learn and grow as a person. For example, when somebody gets into an accident and becomes disabled (perhaps mentally, a head injury or physically uses a wheelchair) it is a major life change. If somebody is not allowed to deal/adapt with this change, they can experience large amounts of discomfort and emotional pain (depression). Especially when they are viewed in an entirely different light than previous status (i.e. lowered responsibility and participation).

However, being incompetent is not the only stereotype that comes up. Sometimes they are often used as a type of faith/love trophy (i.e. my cross to bear). Less common in Jehovah?s Witnesses (to my knowledge) is the ?physically blind but can ?see??. This implies that they have a better ?minds eye? or more faith. One of the most gross but deep penetrating stereotypes is that disability and sin are directly linked. Often when you read in Jesus miracles of curing disabled people, it?s accompanied by ?your sins are forgiven? or demons are expelled. I don?t remember exactly were these scriptures are but there are numerous examples (the man lowered into the house on a cot and the tale of the wild man). And this follows through to my pervious topic, of paradise and perfect. There sin is eradicated by getting rid of the disability.

In addition, there is a definite harsh language used in the bible towards people with disabled. If you look into the Old Testament, you?ll see discrimination against people with disabilities and priest hood. I talked to a few pastors (note: not Jehovah?s Witnesses) that told me the harsh terms were the result of the scribes and translators. But if the bible was inspired by God, the scribes at least should have been sensitive through their divine connection to God. In turn, the society, a type of right hand to God, should also know better.

Of course there have been stories that illustrate the problem of waiting to be cured. For example, out in field service I heard a lady in the car group recount a story. A woman in a wheelchair studied and was baptized. She however, was very shocked that right after baptism when was not ?cured?. An especially hard area dealing with disabled people and Jehovah?s Witnesses is in field service. The mentally disabled aren?t really trusted to say the right things. In fact, an older woman had a mental disability and began saying the wrong things at the door. She was, of course, promptly disfellowshiped.

In the end, I believe retention of people with disabilities is lacking because while some people may not be able to critically think, emotionally they know something is wrong.

(One last point, correct terminology for people with disabilities usually is 'people first' terminology. This means that whenever referenced, people is always stated first (i.e. people with disabilies). This makes sure that the person, not the disability, is being focused on. Maybe it will help some people to see them as people. It would be great if we all just saw them as people.)

Thank you, forgetmenot

• avishai
    avishai

One of my brothers is autistic, & they treated him like shit!!!

He was always tired due to his meds, but would they let him sleep in the B-room? "F" no!!! Would they take him anywhere, even though he's extremely high functioning, charming and polite? Hell no. Bastards.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like your description, forgetmenot. I notice that people who are slow learners find satisfaction with the WTBTS study style. Since all that is required is memorization and rote repitition, these people can experience more success at the KH than in regular society.

On the other hand, I have seen these same people treated poorly by the congregation. After all, did the congregation really plan on sharing their perfect paradise earth with the likes of these? Also, they suck up a LOT of study time.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Thanks, forgetmenot! That was a great, thought-provoking post!

The only thing I couldn't agree with was the statement that other thought processes are as valid as ours.

I'm not sure I would want to be a passenger on an airplane if the pilot was thinking about non-traditional methods of flying the plane.

I think the problem with JWs starts with their fundamentalist approach to the Bible and their belief that our imperfections are the result of sin; hence, if a person has problems, there must be a reason - a deficiency - on his part.

Secondly, the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is a SALES company, and they are not inclined to waste their time with people whose problems make it unlikely that they will ever become productive salespeople.

Third, it can be stated that the WTB&TS is filled to overflowing with "high-functioning" mentally/emotionally disabled people. They may be obsessive-compulsive, delusional, neurotic or psychotic, but BOY! can they sell magazines! Examples: Russel, Rutherford, Knorr, Franz, Jaracz...

• shamus
    shamus
    I believe that in a way Jehovah's Witnesses actually recruit mentally disabled people.

Yes, they do. I was very depressed and had no hope in life. I was quite suicidal, and they made me feel important. It sounds stupid now, but that's how it was.

When they're "love" did not make me feel better, I was completely torn. I wanted friends so bad, but I hated the strange kingdom hall "brothers and sisters". When I treated my depression the lie became evident very quicky. I left and will never, ever go back.

It wasn't that they were horrible people... instead, the dreams of paradise on earf just did not make sense. It seemed so made-up, and I had truly "made the truth my own", LOL! The meetings were beating me down emotionally, even though I was on meds for my depression. It became evident that something needed to change. A roommate came along (witness) who was VERY UNSTABLE. He was funny, but very much had some kind of mental illness. (compulsive lying). Anyhow, we decided to move to the mountains to snowboard, and, well,

NO MORE TROOF! Thank god!

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Nathan: I too would not want someone with a developmental disability flying a plane I am on, but I wouldn't want some random non-trained Joe Somebody on the street flying the plane either. How many of us can fly a plane, or do neurosurgery, without many, many years of education and training? (I personally have a great deal of respect for automotive mechanics, not being mechanically gifted myself.) "Other thought processes are as valid as ours" doesn't mean that one person is suitable for the same employment as the next person. As you mentioned, the WT is filled with "high functioning" disabled people. There are differing degrees of disabilities...WT only wants to keep the productive, high functioning disabled, dysfunctional that place tons of magazines and spend life sacrificing time for the 'good of the order.'

• Valis
    Valis

Rabbit...I think your question is by far short sighted. My own sister has Down's Syndrome and for as long as I can remember my parents are more than willing, as in several conversations, to give custody of her to my dad's best friend from early in the JW experience. It is also sad to mention this couple also has a Down's Syndrome child, almost the same age. Good lord! Genetic deterioration must be a big part of Jehovah's organization and it's future. I am going to go punch the sofa now and throw darts at seven006's pics...eh.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit