Death and Judgement Day

by Tirisilex 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

There's two judgements.

When you die you receive a particular judgement immediately. This judgement is kind of automatic.

In the last judgement we'll receive a public judgement in the presence of Jesus Christ.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

@ John_Mann

I am no theologian (in fact I am an atheist), but it seems to me, from my own reading that the "last judgement" you refer to, presumably the one in Revelations 6:10-17 seems to only apply to those living at the time.

If you die beforehand, you are judged as described in 2 Corinthians 5:6-10 and go to heaven. Catholics and (I think Orthodox and some Protestants) believe an intermediate state of "Purgatory", but I can't find a sensible biblical justification for that view.

In short, my (amateur) interpretation is that you get judged once, not twice.

• anointed1
    anointed1

Even Jesus did not have answers to simple questions such as ‘why some are born blind?’ The answer he gave was more confusing and God-dishonoring:this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.” John 9:3

Hence we cannot have answers to such questions as yours.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ TIRISILEX: J.W's believe in a two-tier system - some are going to heaven, and most will be on the earth.

Most other Christian denominations believe in a one-tier system - all good people will live in heaven.

Bible verses appear to indicate otherwise. Matthew 20:28; Mark 10:45; & 1 Timothy 2:6 each refer to a ransom.

A ransom does not buy back more than what has been lost/taken. If your girlfriend was kidnapped and you paid the ransom, I'm sure you'd be surprised if the kidnappers sent J-Lo to you instead.

Likewise, Psalm 37:9,10, &25; Matthew 5:5; & Revelation 21:3,4 each describe the righteous inheriting/living forever on earth, (not in heaven) thereby supplying a ransom for what Adam lost - nothing more. My 2 cents.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

If you not believe in purgatory so you believe Jesus went to hell and preached to demons.

Hell is the very absence of God. So Jesus is not God?

The verdict of the two judgements is equal.

The difference being one particular and another public, with Christ presence. And after that the souls will be reunited with the bodies (maximizing the verdict).

There's no second chance after death. Your destiny is eternally fixed. Purgatory is not a second chance. We have infinite opportunities to repent while on earth but after death there's no more chances.

• menrov
    menrov

I have been thinking about it too. And yes, there are various doctrines about the after death situation. Will people go to heaven, or some to hell, or do they sleep and wait or what.......Christians have their doctrines, Islam their own, Hinduism, Buddhism...all with their own views.

In the end, you have to decide what you believe is reasonable.

Personally, I first re-evaluated my own belief. I believe in a creator. Not necessarily do I believe in the bible as we have it. I cannot find a satisfactory answer for all the suffering in the world of innocent people, like children, women, men, fathers, mothers etc. Ask around, who really is free from any means of suffering?

I can see that we were created. But what if that creator just created us and just left it to His creation to make something of it? I sometimes compare to the live of ants Do we as humans feel any sympathy for them, meaning, do we care if they are ill, weak etc? No, we do not and feel no sorry at all if you kill one or many of them. Why? Because they are too small to be concerned about. Well, now consider a Creator who is that smart and intelligent that He was able to produce human and animal life, including all flora. Why would he be concerned about individuals? Are we not like ants?

So, this is my way of thinking now a bit. Where does that lead us, humans? I do not know. May be our creator has something better for us (but why would he do that??), may be this life is all there is...I really do not know. What I do see is that if all humans help each other, life would be much better. Not without pain or sorrow but better. Will it ever be without sorrow and pain and fear etc? I really do not know. Do Christians know? No, it is a belief, like for Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists.

• the-Question
    the-Question

Religions have transformed "death" into the antonym "living"- the foundation of ghosts and the 'living' dead.

Many churchoids even tell me Adam and Eve aren't dead, that they DIDN'T return to the ground- as God SAID...but are in HEAVEN!

The Prophets, Jesus, and the Apostles all referred to a Day when the dead (not the living) will be resurrected and judged.

• the-Question
    the-Question

"when jesus was on the cross he said to the man that when he dies he will be with jesus in heaven."

No, he didn't.

Translators place the comma in such a way to fool you into thinking that.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Jesus did not come into His kingdom that day. He went to Hades/Sheol for 3 days.

The account of Lazarus and the Rich Man is most unusual. It is not a parable. My take is that it is literal but fictional. You may want to read my study article.

Basic Rich Man Account by Vanderhoven

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1XTUEMUNWgM4E4qb6lNiS4Qghz-wxhc0cO4C8QYkocaY&embedded=true

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

Its called the ' comma take your pick ' god loves teasing games....who will the next fool be !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit