C. S. Lewis "Mere Christianity"

by rem 34 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

As many of you know I'm an atheist and over the years in my discussions with Christians I've been encouraged to read the scholarly works of C. S. Lewis. The works of C. S. Lewis, such as "Mere Christianity", "The Screwtape Letters", etc. are supposed to be logical Christian appologetics that will appeal to a thinking person.

I'm about half-way through "Mere Christianity" and I have to say that I am embarrased for any Christian who thinks this is a book that will convince a skeptic. I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but the logic is downright shoddy and the scholarship is nonexistant. If anything, this book makes me believe Christianity is more irrational than I thought before.

His main argument in "Mere Christianity" stems from the concept of a Natural Law (morality) that we all know, but do not necessarily follow. Who put it there? Must be god. Which god? Has to be the Christian god. The interesting thing, though, is that he clearly contradicts himself by admitting that some people don't know of this Natural Law that is supposed to be self evident. Isn't he admitting moral relativism and destroying his whole argument? Of course there are many other logical blunders and it seems to read like an appeal to children to me - like one of the Society's publications aimed at children.

Anyway, has anyone else read any of his books (besides Narnia)? What did you think? Did it help convince you that Christianity is the correct religion? Is there another author you prefer?

Thanks,

rem

• avishai
    avishai

Well, they did'nt convince me, but I was compelled by his tolerance & love, and I think that they are GREAT books for Judgemental A-hole x-tians to read.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I'm about half-way through "Mere Christianity"

You're a better man than me, then. When I tried to read it, I thought of putting a post up about it, but then realized that I would have to actually read it if anyone answered my topic, lol. As I recall, his thoughts on sexual morality where just absurd; childlike and witness-like, as you put it. His take on "free will" didn't make any more sense than any other, which is to say none.

I so wanted to find it deep and spiritually uplifting, as the girl who gave me the book and told me I simply must read it, was as close to proof of a God as anything I've come across .

CS Lewis had to be one conflicted dude.

• rem
    rem

Yeah, I do have to agree with that. He does come accross as very tolerant. That is refreshing, but I was told I'd find some convincing logic in those pages. Where is it? :)

rem

• crownboy
    crownboy

I've been told the same things about his books, but I haven't really had the time to read them. I did read books by Josh Mc Dowell and Lee Stroubel that were supposed to have the same effect (this was at the time when I was still trying to convince myself that I was still a Christain, meaning I would give the "benefit of the doubt" to any pro Christain book), and they too failed on the weight of their illogic and/or silliness (when I was reading The Case for Christ and the "Lunatic, Liar or Lord" scenario was given to be a proof that Jesus existed, I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief [pun intended ] ).

Anyway, rem, keep us posted on the book. Who knows, maybe it might get better and you'll be converted to Christanity in the end.

• rem
    rem

It's funny, my unbelieving aunt got me a couple of his books for Christmas because I had them on my Amazon wishlist. Before she bought them she took me aside and asked me if I was converting to a Christian or something. I had to explain that there was no danger of that and I just wanted them for research (I just didn't want to pay for them hehe). She then got me a couple of his books used from a garage sale.

The books are very easy reads (except in some parts he makes some statements that leave my brain reeling)... nothing like the science or philosophy books I'm used to. It's just finding the desire to finish the book that's the issue. :)

rem

• mouthy
    mouthy

" Convince a man against his will.he's off the same opinion still" I thought "More than a Carpenter" was a better book.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Rem! I read C.S.Lewis The Problem Of Pain.On the front of this book there is this quote from -Harper's."The point about reading C.S.Lewis is that he makes you sure,whatever you believe,that religion accepted or rejected means something extremely serious,demanding the entire energy of the mind." I disagree.

With The Problem of Pain comes this quote on the back cover:"Why must we suffer?"If God is good and all-powerful,why does he allow his creatures to suffer pain?"And what of the suffering of animals,who neither deserve pain nor can be improved by it?The greatest Christian thinker of our times sets out to disentangle this knotty issue.With his signature wealth of compassion and insight,C.S.Lewis offers answers to these crucial questions and shares his hope and wisdom to help heal a world hungering for a true understanding of human nature...Again I disagree.

"Lewis,perhaps more than any other twentieth-century writer,forced those who listened to him and read his works to come to terms with their own philosophical presuppositions." I disagree.

Rem,I did not find these quotes to be true in my reading of "The Problem of Pain".I still am left with uncertainty and he has not convincingly answered the question on the problem of pain for me.Now is not the time to pick apart his reasons and answers given to this question,another time for that.I have not read his other books or the one you are reading now ,but I intend to read more of them soon.

Blueblades

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

BB:

"Lewis,perhaps more than any other twentieth-century writer,forced those who listened to him and read his works to come to terms with their own philosophical presuppositions." I disagree.

Although you may not agree with his conclusions, did it raise any questions for you?
    If so, then I would submit that it achieved it's goal.

Lewis appeared to be a tolerant man with a penchant to making people think!

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Rem,I found these three books to be interesting to read.Eric Hoffer,"The True Believer" Viktor E. Frankel,"Man's Search for Meaning"and Ernest Becker,"The Denial of Death".

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit