ey are right about there being a God named Jehovah?

by moses 6 Replies latest jw friends

• moses
    moses

Being that we know the societys was wrong in many predictions and probably destroyed many lifes along the way do you think that th

• amac
    amac

e rest of your question will be? I give up!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In that the Gods of the ancient world had names thenm the Israelite God did also -- it was probably Yahweh (approximate pronunciation) and this was transliterated (innaccurately in the early middle ages by a catholic monk to the English (well Anglo-Saxon -Middle English) Jehovah - so you could argue they (the WTBTS) are right about there being a God named Jehovah

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Moses,

Yes there was a god (lower case) amongst many (polytheistic context) named Yhwh. This still appears in a number of Bible texts, e.g. Jdg 11:24:

Should you not possess what your god Chemosh gives you to possess? And should we not be the ones to possess everything that Yhwh our god has conquered for our benefit?

Unexpectedly, Yhwh's followers eventually became monotheists (the turning point is Isaiah 40--55: the other gods are nothing). So Yhwh became God (with capital G) and his personal name became useless. So it was (1) explained theologically (Exodus 3:14ff, I am who I am), (2) considered too sacred to be pronounced (intertestamental period), (3) reserved to heterodox or magical use (as appears in many ancient documents) and finally (4) available for a cult label...

• wednesday
    wednesday

are u the moses that pm'd someone here for help to get into a JW site? Yes , i remember the name, moses.

• shera
    shera

Nobody knows ,the real name of God.

http://www.bible.ca/jw-YHWH.htm

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Moses ...

Are you typing in tongues ?

***** Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest