Bad Nitrous Trip . . .

by carefully faded 15 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

is nitrous the gas anasthetic they give you in the black gas mask? i had one experience on that when i was a child, i needed a tooth removing, they tried to put it on my face and i hit the dentist and so my mom and him and the assistant held me down while i tried to get them off me, but in the end they gassed me, i woke up some time later in the recovery room with a tooth missing.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Sounds scary. I've never personally experienced a bad nitrous trip, but my older daughter did. She said that she could hear everything going on, but could neither feel or move. Said she tried to scream but could not.

She was in tears when she came out of it. She's had nitrous since, but never had a repeat of that incident.

Best wishes on your appointment tomorrow! What time do we start sending good vibes your way...er...pacific time?

Jean

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

DH, yes, nitrous is the gas dentists use - usually administered through that "pig snout" black rubber thing that fits over your nose.

Thanks Jean! My appointment is on Monday at 4:00 pm Pacific Standard Time . I'll take all the good vibes I can get!

- CF

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

American dentists still use n2o? Most doctors in Canada will only give you a local, or if you really need it (like I did when I got my wisdom teeth, plus and extra tooth, removed) they will bring in an anaesthesiologist (sp?) to do an IV w/ all the beep beep monitors.

• under74
    under74

mmm, never done gas before only local. Although after having a root canal for the first time I left the dental office, got to the sidewalk and promptly passed out. I felt really ill right before and after. The rest of the day I remember feeling like I was dazed. I'm pretty sure in my case it was all nerves...but I'd never passed out before so it worried me some.

Also, a friend of mine has a hard time with gas, She started crying and wouldn't stop. It got to the point where the dentist had to stop the work and find the number to my friend's mother.

• holly
    holly
    Wow, after reading this I made an appt for the dentist right away. I told him to give me nitrous even though I'm just getting a cleaning

Was just thinking the same!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit