To the brother who called in sick after Thanksgiving vacation

by schnell 16 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

Thanks.

No really, thank you.

You decided to drive down to LA with your wife and kids to be with extended family and eat a great big meal on Thanksgiving. That's awesome. No, really, I hope you had great Thanksgiving.

Then you drove back up here, and that's a good day's drive so you were pretty tired. Then you called in sick to get an extra day to rest from your vacation.

Unfortunately, the day after your sick day, you were responsible for a certain job that needed to be done, and only a couple of us are trained to do it. You know this. So our boss gave that job to me. Knowing him, he probably allowed you to take another day off too, so you got 2 sick days on top of a 5 day vacation. Knowing you, you took it.

You could have come in anyway. But you didn't. I had to do it. And I had a dentist appointment that day, which I had to postpone until next year. I am now out $1200 on dental insurance, because I can't reschedule it until January and that money will not be added to next year's dental insurance. Dental sucks that way.

So I lost $1200 and my tooth hurts. It's actually broken and I'm at risk for an infection. I might take an ice-skate and pull a Castaway soon if I have to.

When you did see me the next time, you could have apologized. You had probably heard that when our coworkers told me you were absolutely not sick, that you just needed a vacation from your vacation and I had to cover for you, that I got super fucking pissed and in a tirade said "Fuck him!" I am sure that's unsettling for you. But guess what man. You live in this world too. You even celebrate Thanksgiving just like them, however much you deny it. Your decisions, both good and bad, matter, especially when you are part of a team.

So thanks. Thank you for showing our company how much you love the holidays, thanks for being such a good team player, and thanks for really giving it to the bearded maybe-apostate that you work with. Good job.

• Saename
    Saename

I wonder if this Jehovah's Witness is on this forum? But in any case, it's good to vent out :)

Well, anyway, I know how bad a tooth can hurt. Every one of us probably has had this experience. So sorry to hear that. It's one of the most painful things that can happen to you on a daily basis. I hope the time until your rescheduled appointment passes quickly.

By the way, whenever a tooth hurts, the hardest thing to do is to go to sleep... Hell, I already feel so sorry for you...

• out4good4
    out4good4

Wow.....

You took that pretty personal.....didn't you!!!

• Simon
    Simon

Presumably your dentist appointment was pre-booked - you should have said "no, sorry, I need to get this dental work done or I'll be out of pocket ... it's pretty dishonest for [whoever] to claim he's sick just because he's been travelling at the weekend and didn't think to book it off ... why don't you call him and tell him he needs to come in and get the job done?"

It's annoying when we have to pick up the slack because of someone else being a slacker but guess what - we really don't. Drop them in it. People who show no consideration for other people's lives deserve to have non shown in return IMO.

But we are responsible for the choices we make. No point getting angry at someone else if we regret one of our choices. What if he was really sick? Can you 100% know for sure he wasn't? The real choice was whether you go in to do the job or have the dental work done.

• schnell
    schnell

Getting screwed will do that, out4good4. It's all well and good that he didn't do it maliciously, but that doesn't reduce the impact. If he'd called in sick in January when I wouldn't be out $1200 and could still reschedule, I wouldn't mind as much and I'd be okay with it. If he'd come in anyway because he was not in fact sick, I'd be happy with that too.

To the heart of it, I am tired of the behavior of JWs. I'm tired of the suspension of critical thinking. I'm tired of the duplicity. I'm tired of the hypocrisy. I am completely sickened at a large number of friends who defended the Watchtower's stance on child abuse, and dropped me for finding fault. I'm tired of the wide eyed look in the middle distance. I am tired of the mediocrity, and the inhibition on ambition. I am tired of the whole damn thing.

• schnell
    schnell
    "no, sorry, I need to get this dental work done or I'll be out of pocket ... it's pretty dishonest for [whoever] to claim he's sick just because he's been travelling at the weekend and didn't think to book it off ... why don't you call him and tell him he needs to come in and get the job done?"

I agree, but there are logistics I'm leaving out regarding the work that needed to be done. My boss should've had another available option but didn't yet. Se la vie.

• sp74bb
    sp74bb

Well spoken !!!!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I suggest you call the dental office on Monday and ask to be placed on a waiting list. If someone cancels their December appointment, you might be in luck. It worked for me.

• schnell
    schnell
    I'll take you up on that suggestion, Bonnie_Clyde! Thank you. And thank you sp74bb and everyone else too.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It's an emergency. If Dr can't get you in, find another dr. This isn't about boss, co-worker or your dentist. It's just an emergency.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit