How to reason with someone who has all the answers?

by smurfette 12 Replies latest jw friends

• smurfette
    smurfette

Alot if not all of you have beat your head against the wall of JW dogma spewing forth from a loved one. I'm hoping some of you may have come up with some good answers to some of it or maybe even something profound enough to get through and actually change a JW mind or two.

I'm specifically looking for points to bring up regarding DA-ing and DF-ing, and why it's wrong. I'm dealing with the extremly set in her ways, New World Translation or nothing sort of JW, just waiting to brand me an apostate. (which would be a correct brand by her definition, but she doesn't have to know it)

Any suggestions?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Good luck smurfette.... The WTS has printed many "justifications" for DF'ing or DA'ing and how it "shows loyalty to God" by cutting off family members. Unless you're talking to someone who has their head pulled out of their a** at least a little bit, they will never see a viewpoint other than what the WTS prints.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic...

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I totally agree with DrWatsn! Gotta remove that blockage, otherwise it's a total waste of breath, energy and time.

Terri

• smurfette
    smurfette

DrWtsn32-

No, I don't think your pesimistic, I agree with you, and yes she does have her head stuck up her ***! I was just hoping maybe someone has come up with something new I can use to possibly help her and myself. I guess I just always keep hoping for those magic words that'll get through to her.

-Margy

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into." - Jonathan Swift

• Scully
    Scully

One of my favorite passages in the Greek Scriptures? is Romans chapter 14, verses 10-13:

10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you also look down on your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written: "'As I live,' says Jehovah, 'to me every knee will bend down, and every tongue will make open acknowledgment to God.'" 12 So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God.

Whenever I hear a JW start spouting what amounts to a judgemental attitude toward other people, I ask them to read that. And then I ask them what business it is of THEIRS to decide what another person's standing is before God. They need to be reminded that they can only achieve a good standing before God themselves if they stop judging (which is what the labels "DFd" and "DAd" are about really) other people.

Love, Scully

• shamus
    shamus

I know pretty much anything, so warm up with me!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Clearly she is suffering from PRIDE and a lack of HUMILITY. She is clearly an Apostate.

• dustyb
    dustyb

me and my woman's goin thru a situation like that w/ one of her friends. I just told her what the real meaning of friends and family are, and if they are Disfellowshipped and she doesn't talk to them somewhat like normal i would be pissed and tell her to bounce on. Its effective to be nice, but stern.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Fortunately for me, my JW mother believes that df'ing and da'ing are wrong many times, and your personal life is PERSONAL. She also thinks you should be able to walk away from the witnesses without repurcussions. So we don't argue that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit