I led the class in the Pledge...

by Badger 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Badger
    Badger

Just started back the school year last week. First period, The announcements struck up, along with the pledge of allegiance. I had since fourth grade refused to say the pledge and explained to my friends why not. First year of teaching, I did the same and used it as a chance to lead into a lesson on a finer point of the first amendment.

This time, I stood near my desk as I always do...put right hand over left ventricle...and calmly recited the words, and got a little firmer with the last six (the most important in my mind). A few of my students noticed, but said nothing.

A stupid, tiny thing, to be sure. didn't really phase me at the time. but the fact that i had not done it since age 8 and had so adamantly refused and taken no small amount of crap for it over the years and was now following along with my students felt odd but right.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Pledging allegiance to a flag does sound a tad stupid,! To the Republic for which it stands, makes more sense! I've always wondered why it was worded that way..

carmel

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Badger... congrats!

Carmel... allegiance to a banner (flag) is pretty much an ancient feudal metaphor that signified allegiance to a nobleman (or more specifically, to his house, i.e. ancestors and descendants). I've got to agree, carrying it into the 21st century does seem a tad archaic. It would seem to make more sense to simply say: "I pledge allegiance to the United States of America, one nation," etc...

• Badger
    Badger

Euph...

That's why I say the last six strongest: "With Liberty and Justice for all". What this country is supposed to be about...

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

(((Badger)))

I'm proud of you, sweetie.

helluva a man

Lisa

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

I think that is really cool!

I had the opportunity to say the pledge in my daughter's class...liberating!!! My parents moved around alot when I was in grade school and they left it up to me to take a stand and tell my teachers I couldn't participate in the pledge, birthdays and holidays...I was quite shy and always embarrassed...I remember crying once while trying to explain this to my fourth grade teacher.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Wow, Badger!! That's great that you can finally feel free to express yourself!!!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Go you! I always felt bad not singing the national anthem (despite knowing the words in english and french!) I didn't understand what was so bad about it. Maybe I'm one of those with the sin of pride.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Hey badg--long time no see~!

Glad to have ya back!!

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    It would seem to make more sense to simply say: "I pledge allegiance to the United States of America, one nation," etc...

why does this make any sense at all? if we are freeborn people why are we pledging our life to anyone? welcome to a new mindlessness and borg collective... from one indoctrination to another....

I always marvel how no protests rise when there is a draft of free people accept when the war is seen as unjust.... why is there no protest at any time? how can a free people ever allow its citizens to be enslaved against their will.... all military service of free people should always be only voluntary... if the people do not feel it a worthy enough cause to fight for, that should be respected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit