Bush, The Moon, and Mars....

by Sentinel 19 Replies latest social current

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, space exploration could be the back door out of economic/employment difficulties. As high tech jobs emmigrate, space industry would give the US a leap ahead, providing new jobs in an erea where they have no competition. Exploring new frontiers is one of the things americans do best.

SS

• little witch
    little witch

Imagine our energy needs can be met by resources from other planets.

Imagine the prospect of a sole source of energy, thereby eliminating and or controlling the oddity of the ill enformed, religiously dominated political entities controlling and shaking world behavior.

In other words, the earths resources are dependant on a group of nations that are harmful to the well being of the masses.

Imagine finding other resources, and eliminating (?) that conflict...

Perhaps I am off base. But it seems plausible. Just thoughts....

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Thanks for all your thoughts so far. It's my opinion that the "age of technology" is coming to a close. The age of science and the endless boundaries of our universe will be the prime interest for the future of mankind.

Why do many bash a president for thinking about our future...someone has to and he is in the best position right now to get the ball rolling. If we think that everything is "his" doing, we are very wrong. He alone is not a dictator. He is the voice of many powerful people. These matters will take time and money, but could reward us a thousand fold.

I really don't understand all the workings of politics and I don't like to see war; but war has been around since day one--and so have sightings of alien beings and their crafts. Christianity is based on biblical description of a war in heaven. It is the nature of man, and we were made in the image of the creator.

Sometimes change must be forced for any positive to come forth. Change is not easy. Change hurts sometimes because it is a way to grow. We are breaking one mold to form another. I believe that the creators view mankind as a "whole", and not a bunch of separate nations. If we begin to think more like that, then perhaps the answers to many of our most critical questions could be answered.

/<

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think the idea of going to outer space is exciting. As long as it is done safely, I think it is great. There is much out there for us to start learning.

We live in an exciting era. I can't wait to see what the next 50 years will bring us.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I'm glad that not everybody is a pessimistic do nothing.

I had not been aware of this astrofuel - and I need to do more research on the subject, but if true, it would have a boosting effect on the American economy and be disastrous for the middle East. Their only export would become essentially almost valueless. Wow, as secretly gleeful as I might feel over oil barons being shaken to their foundations, it is the common man of the Middle East I feel sorry for. The oil Sheikhs already have their money locked away, its the poverty stricken masses unable to feed themselves I don't know what to do with. The whole MIddle East is a house of cards resting on one ace - the oil supply. When its gone... wow... bad news for democracy. Democracy rests on three foundations: Bread, Circuses, and Opportunity, of which anyone can pick two at a time.

Take away the bread, and if you can't afford the circuses, and if there is no opportunity, what you have is a desert.

While much is made of American dependence on foreign oil, what most people don't realize is that the countries selling us the oil are just as dependent on us buying the oil. If we are pulling down fuel from the moon at the ridiculously low cost of 7 bucks a barrel - my god, what would happen? Would it be inflation? Or recession? Both? To my knowledge, a sudden massive shift in a culture's primary energy source has never occurred before in human history. Even coal had centuries to develop, and oil had decades - to suddenly switch to this astrofuel would be... a paradigm unlike anything I can think of. I mean, we are talking Darwin, but in a compressed time span of a decade or less.

Sorry if I'm raving, I just can't think straight about this. The consequences would be enormous, the implications unpredictable. It'd be nice if there were no more rolling blackouts, of course.

CZAR

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

So John F Kennedy wants to put a man on the moon and he's a visionary. Bush wants to put a man on mars and he's an idiot. Of course.

We can't expect earth to maintain us forever. The space program has been spinning it's wheels for too long. We need a goal to reach. We need resourses.

• shamus
    shamus

I think it's very interesting! We supply one stupid robot arm, and the U.S. goes to Mars, LOL!

Seriously, I think it's cool, and it gives Mr. Bush something to spend money on rather than millitary. A good choice, Mr. Bush! (the only one,,,,)

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

As you all know, I'm no fan of Bush, but I'm actually pretty damn enthused about this idea. I'm sure that his main motive is the fact that it's an election year, but so what? Elections are just what it takes to motivate politicians.

I think that there are serious questions about cost and viability; I hope that the plan addresses them adequately. We'll find out when it's released. But for now, I'm optimistic.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

About damn time too, I can't believe how many years have passed since we went to the moon.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I think it is a very good thing too. The time is right. I still believe there is something very major behind all this sudden re-interest in the planet Mars. We will just have to wait and see.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit