The book of Ruth... destroys the bible

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Lets pretend two things:

1. God (YHWH) exists

2. The bible is his word.

Now we follow Genesis to Judges ok... Judges resets at chaper 17-21 but for the purposes od this posts lets ignore that...

Ruth we are told lives in the time of the judges... Ok no problem/ Until the end. She marries Boaz... Obed... Jesse David... Still just reading Genesis to Ruth we have no problem really... In fact>>>

Jews have few problems wiih the book of Ruth.

Christians do, including JWs, because of Matthew....

Matthew claims Ruth marries Boaz the son of Salmon who married Rahab. Rahab the whore (aww... does that word shock you... it's in the bible :p)

Anyway this places Ruth only one generation from the conquest. (under Joshua)... the problem is she the great grandmother of David...

Conquest: 1473-1467BCE

David born 1107 BCE

This is WT Chronology and represents 360 years. This is on average 180 years for obed and Jesse to have children. But Joshua lives 110 years and David 70... that theory dies quickly.

If Matthews genology is bad Jesus is not Shiloh ....

If Ruth is bad... who was David?

you cant have both

This BTW is very light biblical critiism... very very light...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    This is why they started putting erasers on pointy sticks...
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Wasn't Ruth also a Moabite?(Houston we have a problem). You also may want to look into the Septuagint bible for its timeline. Its more accurate but will probably expose the timeline you mention to be even more flawed.
  • Syme
    Syme

Yeah, I remember that point. There's an attempt to address it in that blue book, "All scriptures". Well, when I say "attempt", it was something like "yes, we know it's a long time, but it would appear that Jehova miraculously made those ancestors have offspring at a very late age, like in the case of Abraham".. something like that.

I love those phrases the WT uses when they're going to make up some lame interpretation: "It would appear that..."

• nelim
    nelim
    I'd say the ancestry of Matthew destroys the bible.... 3 * 13 generations? (Adam -> Abraham -> David -> Jesus). Very nice "coincidence", 13 generations each, and the last jump is like 1000 years, very very unlikely; that results in too high average age for all those mothers. There are more problems.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

I think its funny that people don't see Ruth as a Gold Digger. Like in talking to Naomi she would not have found she had a rich relative. And like it would not cross her mind that she could change her life by sticking to the old nag to get close to Boaz. And like she snuck into his room to warm his feet, and not to have sex with him.

During the BS lesson on that - did anone notice the AMAZING contradiction in paragraphs 17 and 20?

• Tenacious
  • kepler
    kepler

Personally, I don't know which incidents in the Bible should be set in concrete. But there does seem to be one avenue of reasoning, taken by others, that might shed some light on how records could be so much in conflict - and that's this That the reign of Judges was not consecutive, but in parallel and overlapping - considerably.

What archeological evidence exists for early Israel, seems to indicate that the Kingdoms which arose rose a couple of centuries after the Egyptian New Kingdom state retreated from Canaan - circa 1200. If Egyptian chronologies are compared with the WT's, Moses and Joshua would be arriving in Canaan ( after 40 years of wandering) in the midst of Egyptian hegemony.

There have been several battles of Megiddo. In more recent times (WWI) there was the battle between the British and the Ottomon Turks. In 609 BC there was Pharaoh Necho and King Josiah. But earlier there was Pharoah Thutmose III (~1458 BC - April - about 20 years earlier by other sources) with the Prince of Kadesh. Subsequently for several hundred years there was an Egyptian Levantine empire.

Accounts of the 15th century BC battle:

- hieroglyphic writings on the Hall of Annals in the Temple of Amun-Re at Karnak, Thebes (now Luxor)by the military scribe Tjaneni serving under Thutmose III.

Unfortunately, the original scribes of Ruth and Joshua did not go to such means to preserve their original accounts.

• freddo
    freddo
    Look folks Ruth to David is easy! Overlapping generations of course.
  • David_Jay
    David_Jay

First-time posting, but long time reader. Found this site some years back, but I left the Witnesses in 1995. This whole subject reminded me of uneducated the Watchtower kept me, so I was moved to finally sign up and post. What the Witnesses taught us about the Book of Ruth is so different from what anyone can learn from opening the introduction to this book in any study Bible on the market.

Ruth may appear in Christian Bibles between Judges and 1 Samuel, but that is following the placement given to it by the Septuagint and later editions of the Vulgate. If you crack open a Jewish Bible, Ruth appears at the end of the canon, in the section called “Writings,” following Proverbs.

The Book of Ruth is not meant to be a historical document. It was designed specifically to carry the traditions of the main character into the liturgical readings of Jewish worship. This was a way of keeping the memory of Ruth alive, albeit through poetic license. In other words, the book is a legendary retelling of someone the Jews claimed was historical.

The book appears to be the product of the Second Temple era, written to deal with the controversy that arose regarding interracial marriage during the time period that is generally associated with Ezra and Nehemiah. The place the book holds late in the Jewish canon is one reason this is suspected (it is theoretically believed to have been composed after the time of the Jewish prophets and not immediately prior to or during the dynasty of King David).

Another point to note is that the heroine’s gleaning activities are placed in a setting reflecting an advanced development and application of Mosaic Law. The author appears to have purposely placed the ancient Ruth in an anachronistic setting, taking advantage of law that historically developed during the era of the Temple of Solomon. Israel was not applying such laws during Ruth’s time, and Solomon was supposed to still be several generations away.

The incorrect setting is taken as purposeful, as Ruth is the subject of much mercy and acceptance due to her great loyalty to the people of Israel and their God. The suggestion may be the application of mercy toward non-Jewish wives in Ezra’s time despite the Mosaic Law’s demands on intermarriage.

Jews adopted this book as one of the Megillot, the five scrolls read on different Jewish holidays. Ruth is liturgically proclaimed during Shavout (the Festival of Weeks). The inclusion of Ruth into Matthew’s generations narrative may be a similar invention playing off of this novela. The many holes between the generations contain skips, and the fact that the numerical value of King David’s name is fourteen (the three groups of generations don’t always add up to fourteen) shows it is a stylized motif, not an actual genealogy. The inclusion of Ruth, Tamar, Rahab, and Bathsheba seem to prefigure Mary’s marital dilemma, that God uses women who some might view conceived in a questionable manner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit