the Guardians of Doctrine - What was your view of GB 1.0?

by berrygerry 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

When I was an all-in, younger, somewhat uber-Dub - I envisioned the Governing Body as spending 16 to 18 hours a day at the Bethel library, with their noses in the Bible and associated research books. Sky-J was propelling his Holy Spirit directly at them, maybe opening the book to the right page or paragraph, and ZAP, new light.

When I learned that these dudes only met on Wednesday mornings, for as little as 10 minutes, and spent the rest of their time MANAGING and traveling, it was quite a letdown.

Anyone have such thoughts of our Guardians Of Doctrine?

• Landy
    Landy

When I was a teenager the GB were almost god like, etheral and held in awe.

Now they have Stephen Lett on the internet.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Landy...

I don't think I could have summed it up better. LMAO!

I think Lett would be perfect to host a JW kids' show...

...you wouldn't even have to tell him that's what it was. :laughing:

• millie210
    millie210

They were much better off when they were "unknowns". Then a persons imagination and faith could imbue these men with whatever godlike qualities a person wanted to imagine they had.

It is a common tactic for political people to try to portray themselves as "down home. just like the average person" traits.

This seemed to work well when tried with religious leaders such as the Pope, so the Governing Body was advised (?) to try it.

It has backfired.

I am not sure of all the reasons why but it has and now they cant really back away from it can they?

• scary21
    scary21

I believe the old GB had jobs and worked at least some of the time. The new GB doesn't have jobs. I could be wrong but seems like COC talked about them working.

So I think of them as being lazier now.

• Lieu
    Lieu

I use to be amazed at the level of GB 'worship' in my younger years. People equated the GB with Jehovah himself.

I had a one on one with Henschel (late 80's), chatted a good bit. He didn't seem any different than anyone else or any more scripturally knowledgeable.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

I pictured very studious, deep-thinking, wise men that were on a different wave length. Basically how you might picture Jesus or Aristotle.

So in other words I was dreaming.

The broadcast has exposed them for what they are. A person couldn't have my early fictional view of them today if they wanted to.

• MrsR-Awaken
    MrsR-Awaken

I just realized Guardians Of Doctrine = GOD

These dudes think they are God.... (puke)

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

When I was a child I thought that the GB went into a room on their own and that Jehovah would speak to them directly, drama style, a big booming voice telling them what to put in the mags.

It was a great disappointment to learn that they just decided that's all, and even just voted on doctrine.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Splane confusing "generation" with "contemporaries" in the overlapping generation teaching really did it for me.

These guys are just making it up as they go. Rubber face doing the last part in Elders school was a real let down too. He sure knows how to make people feel stupider doesn't he?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit