My dad needs a heart transplant

by MonkeyPrincess 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MonkeyPrincess
    MonkeyPrincess

According to his doctor, my dads heart is beating at 29 beats per minute right now, and getting progressivley weaker. He advised my father to get on the transplant list for a new heart. Of course my father is being very stubborn about this. My mom said she knows of a hospital that does bloodless surgeries, and that she is going to try and get him in there, or with a doctor at Stanford that will do a bloodless heart transplant. The problem is that they might not be able to find a doctor to do it, and if they dont then my dad will not have the surgery. I have been so upset over this whole thing. My parents have been speaking with me and good with me, even though im df'd. Im just not ready to lose my dad, not when there is a possibility that he can get better. I saw him today and he was just so weak and pale looking, it was aweful. Anyways, i guess i am mostly venting here. Has this happend to anyone else, or any other experiences that you know of? Thanks!

MonkeyPrincess

• shamus
    shamus

Nope. Not to me, monkeyprincess. Sorry to hear about it though.

• Xandria
    Xandria

MonkeyPrincess,

I am truly sorry to hear this is happening. I haven't been through a heart transplant personally. But, I can understand the feelings about fear of loss, feeling helpless and even at a loss for how to handle it.

Right now, you need as much support as you can get. We care and there are some here that may have more experience dealing with this, because they have gone through it.

Also here are some sites:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/disease/heartfailure/transplant.htm?source=overture

http://www.changeofheartsupport.com/

http://www.transplantpsychologist.com/support_groups.htm

Best Regards,

X.

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he does the right thing. But if he's a dub I'm sure he'll gladly die for his beliefs and screw the family and their sorrow. I wonder though, how the family would feel, if he passes away for this, if the WTS change their views on blood.

• shera
    shera

*hugs*

Hope everything turns out for the best.Thinking of you.

• acsot
    acsot

I'm so sorry for what you're going through right now; it's hard enough to see a loved one so ill and weak, but the stress is compounded by having to face the JW nonsensical stand regarding blood. They believe in human sacrifice but not humanity. The most you can do is be there for him, and love him unconditionally. It will be a comfort to him no matter what happens.

We're here for you

(((((MonkeyPrincess)))))

• shotgun
    shotgun

Sorry monkeyprincess

Sad to say I have seen quite a few damage themselves by putting off needed heart surgery for years to avoid the blood issue. The ones I have known waited so long that the damage was too great to repair and list for heart transplants was too long to save them.

Be there for him if they let you.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am sorry to hear this. I will keep you & the family in prayer.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sorry to hear this, ((((MP)))) We've only had fam members go the "bypass" route in my fam....I hope everything turns out well for your Dad.

Frannie B

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am really sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and the family who must be going through hell.

I have not had experience of this, but a dub relative of mine resisted blood all the way to the wire, following internal bleeding. Guess what, he got better and made a "Miraculous " recovery.. Over here we have the perception that the USA is a home of bloodless surgury, but I guess nothing is always what it seems.

It would be good to try and put ourselves in your fathers place. He has presumeably given many years to his faith. He may feel that the end is not far away , no doubt he does not want to throw it all away now. This may seem a silly question but, is he aware of all the allowed treatments. Is there a "Fraction" that could satisfy both him and the doctors?

My closest family members are staunch dubs. I have often pondered this scenario. Supposing I was asked to give a consent that would violate their misguided beliefs?

I do support the concept of individual responsibility , as adults, and the freedom of choice in respect of our own bodies. Frankly, I would uphold their concientious decision, even though I heartily disagree with it

Here's hoping for the best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit