Women in Workforce/Glass ceilings/my mentor

by Stacy Smith 20 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

Paying a woman less for the same job because she is a woman is illegal. When statistics are quoted saying women make .75 on the dollar compared to men for example, theyare talking about average salaries comparing all women to all men. More men are in higher level positions therefore when you combine all salaries of all men and take the average, its higher than women. As women have begun moving into executive and professional careers, the disparity has decreased.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Part of it, I think, is that women accept lower salaries...because they don't know how much the men are making! I think women have lower expectations than men, because our salaries are so often much lower.

I used to work at a college of medicine. I saw men with no degree hired for administrative type jobs, at a higher salary than women doing the same job title with a degree and 10 years' experience!

At another job, when my department got half its workforce laid off, the superviser kept the man he'd hired only a few months before...because he was a man and had to support his family...even though the 2 women in the office were the major financial support of their families and he knew it (my husband was in college full time and the other woman's husband was self-employed and trying to get his business off the ground).

Yeah, yeah, yeah...this is supposed to be illegal but it was a "right to work" state, and besides, companies know that they can do whatever they want to as long as no one has the time or money to take them to court.

I'm 40 and the only time I've made as much as the men I worked with, was when I was a truck driver and the wages were "so many cents per mile" based on your years as a driver. I've talked about it with other women in different types of jobs, and sometimes the "male-dominated" jobs are actually the ones with the most wage equity!

edited to correct stupid spelling error

• Huxley
    Huxley

Everyone in my union makes the same wage after they reach top-scale. Women, Men, Black, White, etc. Issues other than wage are usually settled on a seniority basis. It's not perfect, but there are no issues with wage discrimination.

Huxley

• Sassy
    Sassy

I have never considered myself a women's liberal. I remember my ex working on construction jobs where the women were given easier jobs that were less dangerous and yet demanded equal pay. I don't think that is fair either.. But I do strongly feel that, if a woman can do the same job, she should be paid the same. It pisses me off when women have to work so much harder than men to get places.. and DON'T get me started on how it was a MAN'S world in the WTS....

on a side note: I was pleased to hear on the radio this morning the Top Ten Money Making Stars included women. We may not be at #1 yet, but we did get #2.

Top Money-Making Star of 2003 in Quigley Publishing Company's 71st Annual Top Ten Money-Making Stars Poll.

The rest of the Top Ten in order were:Jim Carrey #1, Nicole Kidman #2, Jack Nicholson #3, Tom Cruise #4, Julia Roberts #5, Johnny Depp #6, Russell Crowe #7, Will Ferrell #9 and Renee Zellweger #10.

http://romanticmovies.about.com/cs/carreyjim/a/jimcartop10404.htm

Stacy.. I am really happy to read about this opportunity for you.. YOU GO GIRL!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Purple:

Sorry but only a man would say it was contempible.

Since I believe I was the only one on this thread using that word, are you quoting me?
    If so, you may need to go and read what I wrote again...

• logansrun
    logansrun

Personally, I think women should be kept at home where they belong.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Oh Bradley you just might enjoy working under the right woman.

Yes this is a great opportunity for me and I plan to make the most of it.

• lastcall
    lastcall

No glass ceilings in a union shop. If you can do the job, you get the rate..and a damn good one I might add.

Stacey, did you ever see Norma Rae ?

Your dead right, it is unfair, but it used to be even worse. My hope is that the gap will continue to shrink and that women will unify and use their majority of votes to elect a qualified female President.....Hillary?....Condee? I think it will happen sooner than many think.

LC

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Stac: I studied this in my Interpersonal Communication class.....I hate to say it happens but I saw first hand at Citibank that men with far less experience on resume and during their time at the bank were paid more. When I questioned this "off the record" with a manager it was cause of antiquated ideas of men being the provider and being responsible for child support

• JeffT
    JeffT

My current boss is a woman. She's also the wisest, most supportive, and frequently toughest person I've worked for. If you have a mentor that you like, PAY ATTENTION, you've just found the biggest boost to your career you'll ever get. A good mentor is worth about eight times as much as a college degree. I know, I had one about the time I was leaving the borg in the late eighties. The glass ceiling is breaking slowly. As more and more smart hard working young women (as you sound like) enter the work force the barriers will break down.

Good luck to you.

PS: I've worked for three real assholes in my life. They were all men. I've worked for women four or five times and they were better managers by far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit