Help with my novel I'm writing

by pimonotforlong 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pimonotforlong
    pimonotforlong

I don't know if I'm submitting this under the proper subject area, but I had a question I was wondering if anyone had any expertise on.

I'm writing a YA novel inspired by my experiences growing up and being a teenager as a Jehovah's Witness. It is a fictional story though. However, my critiquing beta readers are torn between whether I should make it the actual JW religion in the book, or if I should make a fictional religion based on the JWs. Some say I could have legal trouble if I make it the actual religion. Now, I know there are a lot of books, and even movies, that speak out against the JWs, but do they ever face legal trouble from Watchtower? Do the authors of these books have lawyers to protect them? I thought freedom of speech would allow me to write this book, but I want to make sure.

Do you think I should just play it safe and make it a fictional religion that is painfully obvious to be the JW's in disguise?

Also, let me know if you would be interested in reading it. I'm going to try to self publish it within the next year. I think I'm just going to make it free to read on the Amazon kindle thing, and maybe on Wattpad? It's my first novel, and although I'm working hard on it, I doubt I have a chance at landing a publishing deal.

Anyway, any comments and thoughts are appreciated.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Exactly who is your intended readership? What do you want to tell your reader? Do you want them to take action as a result of your story?

To help your reader identify with your story, it might be better to identify the religion.

I think your difficulty lies over your shoulder, rather than with the WTS's legal eagles. In other words, will your friends and relatives be able to identify themselves? If so, will they feel personally aggrieved? If so, what actions might they take? Have you spoken with them?

Doug

• pimonotforlong
    pimonotforlong

You’ve made some good points. To answer your question, the story is loosely inspired by things I went through, but I’m not retelling real events. The characters and plot line are fictional and made up, so no one could be able to say, “oh hey, that’s me!” It’s hard to explain I guess.

The story is meant to bring awareness to the struggles faced by JW teens. I guess I’ll go with the fictional religion, since nobody seems to know if it would invite legal trouble or not.

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hi pimonotforlong

I still writing a novel where I kill the GB. I am on re-read and correcting phase.

In the preface , I just write , that the story is "a total fiction" , but my inspiration comes from

data, and testimony I found on the internet ( cra, candace conti, José lopez ... and so on )

The names of GB members are all changed , I mixed different aspect of GB members and recreate

"original" person ... ( but I presume Lett or Herd will be readily recognizable :) ) ...

But in my case, it's special ... since I kill GB :)

For you case, I think you can says GB and JW, it's your story ... and your life that you will write.

If you have familly, who are always jw , it's could be difficult to says "word" against WT , when we know that

jw take accusation against WT or GB as accusation against themselve ...

Sometime I see TVshow where people say about their "cult" expérience they don't tell "Watchtower" or "JW"

but when they says "no christmas" , "no blood", "no birthday" ... I think everybody know that is the Watchtower and the JW

finally I think ( as I have read it herre ) your totaly free , depending of your message , and which reader , which goal

:)

Best regards

• pimonotforlong
    pimonotforlong

That sounds like an awesome book you're writing! Thank you for your thoughts, and good luck with your manuscript.

• jeanpicard
    jeanpicard

I’ve written a novella about JW youth, which was professionally published. I’ve faced no legal trouble whatsoever, and I’m a writer with a decent-size audience. I also did a book tour and readings of the book when it came out. The only backlash I received was from my family: they were already shunning me to some degree, but when the book came out, they started shunning me completely, despite the book actually being a fairly empathetic portrayal.

https://www.amazon.com/Assured-Expectation-Things-Hoped-ebook/dp/B016U57WHC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+assured+expectation+of+things+hoped+for&qid=1577212384&sr=8-1

• pimonotforlong
    pimonotforlong

Jeanpicard, thank you so much for reaching out here. I look forward to checking out your book when I get the chance. I read the sample, and I'm already engaged.

I've been trying to find a book that is similar to mine, the closest I could find was 'Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk.' Which is a semi-autobiography, and not really a fictional novel like mine. Yours is a little more similar to what I think I'm working on.

Now I have the answer I need. I'm going to just make it the real religion. I'm hoping my family will never even find out about it! Nobody I know from my old life even likes to read anyway, lol.

Thank you so much!!

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hi,

Great.

I hope read you soon :)

For me it is just a hobby ... and I probably use lulu.com for editing .. .and free for the epub version :)

but since I'm french my text will be in french ... maybe I try to translate it ... with many many errors :)

Best regards

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've written (but not yet published) a novel based loosely on my experience as a JW. I invented my own religion for it, for several reasons. For me the most important factor was that I didn't have to worry about the details of life as a witness, I can put words in the mouths of my characters without having to worry about whether or not a JW would say that.

I'm currently working on another project by I hope to get back to this one soon. Basic plot line: Armageddon hasn't arrived so the religion decides to take matters in their own hands.

• pimonotforlong
    pimonotforlong

Hey JeffT. I do have to agree that the pros of a fictional religion is that you're not tied down by facts. Good luck with your book! It sounds like a fun plotline.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit