Best bible for cross reference and footnotes?

by BeelzeDub 6 Replies latest social current

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

What do you think is the best bible translation with regard to footnotes and cross reference information?

mods; please move to bible topic forum.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I like the New American Bible for footnotes...the NIV study bible is also good.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The NIV Study Bible is excellent.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The NET Bible probably has more footnotes than any other translation. Available online and in print from www.bible.org

• Seven
    Seven

The Thompson Chain Reference study bibles in a translation of your choice might be what you're looking for. Especially the NIV.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I like the NIV.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

My knowledge of English Study Bibles is very limited, but I had a look at the NIVSB recently and wouldn't recommend it at all. It is heavily loaded with mainstream fundamentalism: its introductions consistently dismiss the most obvious results of common historical and literary criticism, and much of its footnotes are dedicated to explain away the differences between the texts and bring them in line with the "orthodox" catechism.

Although the NIV translation may be generally better, I think a more honest (though conservative) approach can be found in the UBS Good News Study Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit