How far to bend over backwards??????????

by concerned mama 24 Replies latest jw friends

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

Let me ask you this...if one of your Christian workers decided not to go to the party would you feel he/she was entitled to a doorprize? No, because they chose not to go. Doorprizes are for people that walk though the doors. :)

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Thanks, everyone.

I passed on that quote to the other partners, Elsewhere, thank you.

Simon, I do feel sorry for her and I don't want to put any pressure on her either way. It is her decision. It is one of our business partners who is most concerned. He is a nice guy and and just wants this person to be able to come if she wants to..the question is whether she even really wants to.

Crinklestein, I agree with you on . At various times in the past we have had emplyees hint that they couldn't come for some good reason, so they should get a door prize, and we said no. I think to be consistant and fair, we need to stick to attendees only.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

concerned mama,

Interesting situation don't you think? That after you've been here for so many months, now YOU have the opportunity to show a JW that worldly people are really GREAT people? Take the education you've learned here and see if you can do something with it. You soound like you own a pretty interesting company. Hard to find those that really care for their employees nowadays.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Andi

PS: Whatever happened to your daughter and her JW boyfriend. I realize you may have updated the board and I just missed it. If you have a link, please share. I've often wondered what happened in that situation.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

We had our annual "Holiday Party" the Saturday after Christmas. The JW (pioneer in good standing) who works at out place not only came but she got drunk.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Andi! Lovely to hear from you. Oh yes, after all I have learned here on the forum, I expected that she would not want to come. So ironic that we, her worldly employers, are fussing and trying to make it possible (as much as is reasonable) for her to attend this social event, while she is likely looking down on us as "bad association". Oh well, much as I don't agree with it, she does have her right to follow her own religion.

It will be interesting to see how any other employees react if word does get out that her religion forbids her associating with non JWs. It is kind of a slap in the face, you know, and witnesses know it, which is why they usually make up some excuse why they are busy. I, however, don't want to do anything to make her life miserable. She doesn't make any trouble and does her work well. Her manager thinks she is a good employee, so I would prefer she stays happy on the job and with the company. Maybe she will see the nice side of normal people.

As regards to my daughter and her now ex boyfriend, ah, that was a drama. Check your inbox.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Devon, I would be delighted if she wanted to come. We do discourage employees getting drunk because it just leads to complications and problems. You see, we are such a moderate, nice group that a JW would be quite safe and comfortable with us.....which is exactly why the Watchtower forbids it. Sigh...........

• nowisee
    nowisee

way back when, as a jw with doubts, but still toeing the line, when i was in corporate -- this situation was the one in which i found myself.

i had refused to go to the xmas party providing all the usual reasons. my close workmates who had come to care for me rearranged everything -- just for me -- and the company had a "winter party".

this actually turned out to be a great witness to ME. i was amazed that "worldly" people could be so kind, loving and respectful of my beliefs.

within the next couple of years, when i finally made my decision to leave jws, those "worldly" people were my lifeline. without their day to day support i don't know if i would have made it, since i left everything. to this day, 30 years later, one of those women is my closest friend.

you never know how love and kindness will play out. just some food for thought.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Thank you for that comment, Nowisee. We've done what we can for this year, and perhaps next year, if she is still with our company, we will make it a "Winter Gathering". As all of you have said, despite all the changes we make, ultimately, it is up to her.

• shamus
    shamus

Hello Concerned Momma, and Happy New Year! I hope that all went well for you!

The thing is you can never figure out what your employee is thinking. I had an MS boss who wanted me to go to the Xmas party. I didn't because all the people at work were dorks. (including my idiot boss). Let the poor person feel persecuted. It's what he / she wants.

• acsot
    acsot
    There are also little doorprizes and gift certificates (no Christmas wrap) that normally ONLY go to emplyees that attend the party. Is she entitled to anything like that if she misses the party for a religious reason?

Some of us here at work don't attend the annual Christmas party, for various reasons, as in not wanting to see our bosses staggering around drunk and hitting on everyone, smoking is allowed and some are asthmatic and allergic, etc. Guess what? We don't get door prizes. We are free to attend or not to attend and nobody really cares why or why not.

You don't even have to have a party if you don't want, the fact that you do is very nice, and if she doesn't want to attend that's her choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit