Spiritual food from the org on the same level as the Bible?

by CitizenofEarth 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth

Hello to you all again.

I just told my father:"Be carefull that you do not put the so called spiritual food at the same level, or on the same pedestal, as the Bible. It is clear to me that they are not." To me, at the moment, this is self evident. However, my father, who has been in the Org his whole life, and was disfellowshiped and reinstated again, thinks otherwise.

I was told that i should watch my words carefully, and see to it that i correct myself promptly. It was clear that he did not agree - do the ones of you who believe in Jehova/Yahweh/God agree with my father? What are your thoughts. It seems rather odd to put the Org´s litterature on the same level as the Bible, which i see so often at the meetings (and is the reason i am not going). I would like to hear as many viewpoints as possible - i like the idea of sharing free thoughts.

• NikL
    NikL

It's one of the many things that bother me as well. Whenever a talk is given it seems like there is always an instance of the speaker using and quoting something from WT publications just as they would when quoting scripture.

• blondie
    blondie

Even as a jw, I classed jws who reached for their bible first to answer a question higher than those who had to check the publications first before they gave an answer.

One of the book study conductors said, "we will read the scriptures from the bible even when they are quoted verbatim in the paragraph." We were studying the Babylon the Great book verse by verse then. He said, " this way when you are asked a question about a verse, you will visualize it in the bible not the publication."

So the textbook was the bible, not the publication.

Few even read the cited scriptures and the WTS puts in snippets from a scripture so few jws can see it in the bible.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They clearly state they are neither inspired or infallible. The Bible claims it's inspired so they are not on the same level. I would show this to your father and tell him to be careful for the Bible says to watch out and check the inspired expression to make sure it's correct and inline with the Bible. Then if you want to push a little more you could say that the religious leaders of the JWs have been wrong plenty of times in the past

• Hecce
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hmmm...Amazingly clear now for all of us isn't it!

But when we were fully in, we all put the "spiritual food" provided from the society on the SAME level as the bible! In fact, often, the societies words would come BEFORE the bible!

But, its not a cult of course!

• CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth
    Why would they cite Matthew 24:45,47? What does that have to do with independent Bible study? Funny how they say study in the Insight Book will provide accurate knowledge, when they themselves admit that they are fallible.
  • CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth

Thank you Crazyguy, it has been done. Did it once before in a different way, now i have used an e-mail to outline everything clearly.

• notalone
    notalone

A good friend was recently told by the CO that when Word is capitalized in the Bible, it means the Bible, but if it is not capitalized it means the publications.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    CitizenofEarth
    ...Funny how they say study in the Insight Book will provide accurate knowledge...
    This is really funny. But the average JW will put the Insight Book above the bible.

Ask a JW the following question:
    Is Luke's presentation in the bible correct and the JWs are wrong? or
    Is Luke's presentation in the bible not correct and the JWs have it right?

*** it-2 p. 130 Judas ***
    Luke’s presentation of this incident evidently is not in strict chronological order...
    It's about Judas:
    *** it-2 p. 130 Judas ***
    Immediately Judas left the group. A comparison of Matthew 26:20-29 with John 13:21-30 indicates that he departed before Jesus instituted the celebration of the Lord’s Evening Meal. Luke’s presentation of this incident evidently is not in strict chronological order, for Judas had definitely left by the time Christ commended the group for having stuck with him; that would not fit Judas, nor would he have been taken into the “covenant . . . for a kingdom.”—Lu 22:19-30.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit