What does 'spiritual hunger'/'spiritual thirst' feel like?

by onintwo 10 Replies latest jw friends

• onintwo
    onintwo

This is something I've wondered about for some time. When I was 'in', the WTS threw those words around alot. Almost every study topic in the WT, it seemed talked about them. But...here's the weird part. Doesn't it make sense that if you're going to use that analogy, that it would fit a little better? For example, I have been literally hungry and thirsty, as I'm sure you have, but never did anyone have to try to convince me of it! Yet the WT was always trying to convince us of our hunger, it seems. And to take appropriate steps to do something about it ( dine at J's table, etc., blah, blah, blah.)

Sometimes, and this is funny, whole articles seemed intent on trying to force the reader to accept/acknowledge his hunger. Man, that's crazy! If you're hungry you know it! If you're thirsty you know it! And that would go for spiritual hunger as well as physical hunger, I would assume.

Would love to hear other's comments.

Onintwo

• Satanus
    Satanus

Depression? Of course it means other things as well. The word 'spiritual' also has different meanings to different people.

SS

• onintwo
    onintwo

Care to elaborate?

Onintwo

• Satanus
    Satanus

Two sets of definitions:

spiritual

1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
    2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
    3. Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
    4. Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
    5. Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.

spiritual

\Spir"it*u*al\, a. [L. spiritualis: cf. F. spirituel. See Spirit.] 1. Consisting of spirit; not material; incorporeal; as, a spiritual substance or being.

It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. --1 Cor. xv. 44.

2. Of or pertaining to the intellectual and higher endowments of the mind; mental; intellectual.

3. Of or pertaining to the moral feelings or states of the soul, as distinguished from the external actions; reaching and affecting the spirits.

God's law is spiritual; it is a transcript of the divine nature, and extends its authority to the acts of the soul of man. --Sir T. Browne.

4. Of or pertaining to the soul or its affections as influenced by the Spirit; controlled and inspired by the divine Spirit; proceeding from the Holy Spirit; pure; holy; divine; heavenly-minded; -- opposed to carnal.

That I may impart unto you some spiritual gift. --Rom. i. ll.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings. --Eph. i. 3.

If a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one. --Gal. vi. 1.

5. Not lay or temporal; relating to sacred things; ecclesiastical; as, the spiritual functions of the clergy; lords spiritual and temporal; a spiritual corporation.

Spiritual coadjuctor . (Eccl.) See the Note under Jesuit.

Spiritual court (Eccl. Law), an ecclesiastical court, or a court having jurisdiction in ecclesiastical affairs; a court held by a bishop or other ecclesiastic.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spiritual

SS

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I would say it's the desire for belief in something beyond your self. Though I certainly don't buy the idea that everyone who is not christian suffers from spiritual hunger and thirst. Somone who does generally searches until they are satisfied and then is no longer in need and thus stays with beliefs that they are satisfied with until something shakes them up again.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Which def was the wt using? Which one do you prefer? Or, are you talking generally?

SS

• onintwo
    onintwo

I don't know that it's a matter of preference. I like Mysterious's take on it, though. I put the question out there simply because my belly seems to be full, spiritually speaking. And I don't go out of my way to "do" anything about it. Of course I ponder and wonder about spiritual things (non-material things), but don't read any holy writings, don't go to any church, don't gather with like-minded individuals to discuss 'spiritual' topics. Unless you count this little discussion we're having. Which is hardly spiritual food.

Onintwo

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Everbody's different onintwo. What works for one person doesn't for another. I think it's ludicrous to expect that every person on earth could find happiness in a single structured belief system. As long as someone is satisfied with what they believe and their beliefs aren't hurting anyone else that's all that should matter. Some people naturally gravitate towards more structure.

In much the same way some people prefer team sports, others individual sports. Some like to play, some like to watch. Everyone has their own unique talents and styles. Some people get totally engulfed in sports and some people try to treat them like they don't exist at all.

• onintwo
    onintwo

That's cool, I like that. So why DO they call you mysterious, if you can explain so plainly?

Onintwo

• Satanus
    Satanus

Some people have no spiritual need at all. That's ok. Others have a capacity, and are actively working it. Those two groups are not really spiritually hungry.

If depression results from spiritual hunger, then it is because the person is suppressing parts of the psyche. It's surprising how often people who have had psychotherapy, group therapy, or 12 step programs have also opened up their spiritual side. Psychotherapy often runs side by side a spiritual path. As they observe/keep open to the spiritual channel, they are generally able to function better.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit