Children should feel free to.....

by biblexaminer 15 Replies latest jw friends

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I have one question to ask my local JW's, be they on the body, or be they higher up in the heirarchy.

It is this...

Watchtower literature tells me over and over again, that as a parent, I have to make my children feel that they can "freely speak" about whatever is troubling them. The question is, AT WHAT AGE I SHOULD MAKE THEM STOP feeling this way, and help them to see the need to shut up, sit down, and quit rocking the boat. 12? 13? maybe younger?

Yes, as parents, we are supposed to make a warm fuzzy environment for our kids, so that they will "open up" and speak what's on their little minds. Fact is, at some point this has gotta stop, so WHY START. If my kids are gonna be DUB kids, then they should "learn from infancy" how to keep their thoughts and questions to themselves. They should learn that if you "question", at some point you will end up on the outside looking in. At that point, Daddy won't even look you in the face, 'cause you will be a "doubter" and obviously lacking faith.

So, what's your thoughts?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

No thoughts on it dude.

• jurs
    jurs

good topic. parents don't have to tell their children to keep their thoughts to themselves they learn it instictively. no wonder so many lesd a double life. you cant freely question the organization but pretend like you can. jurs

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

That's right. Dub kids learn to "shut up" at the Kingdom Hall. They learn that the primary ingredient in JWhood is "shuttin up". So many kids "shuttin up" and then the parents wonder why their kids "leave the truth". (and I use that "T" word loosely)

Does the WTS believe that they can continue getting parents to make their kids "shut up", while at the same time generating the facad of loving families who want to encourage their kids to open up.

Ah.. the hypocrisy!

• unanswered
    unanswered

great topic! along the same lines, many jw kids learn how not to get caught, instead of developing a conscience that they actually can feel good about. the reality is, teenagers are going to be teenagers, and while parents should try to impress upon their children the rules they want them to live by, guilt is not the best way to achieve this, imo. is the average teen really going to believe that speeding will make god angry at them? i think jw parents would have more luck differentiating between morality and "house rules", instead of blending the two together in a way most teens just won't buy. sorry to get off your topic, bexaminer, it got me thinking.-nate

• patio34
    patio34

Bible Examiner,

What an interesting idea!! Kids learn to be just like us: keep your doubts to yourself if you want to get along. There's no other way to be a JW. You can't disagree without being condemned as an 'apostate.' So, how hypocritical to say 'open up.' There comes an age they have to shutup, just as we do.

Pat

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

That's right. Dub kids grow up learning that hypocrisy is a way of life. Then as is the case with one family here, the daughter comes home pregnant. "Dad, I am gonna marry this guy..." Can you imagine how this elder flipped. Yet, those of us "in the know" just chuckled.

Can you imagine a dub kid actually learning to be objective and to think, for goodness sake, to actually think!

One day the 15 yr old sits with "elder" dad for the study.

Dad, I was tlaking to some kids at school, and they told me that on the internet, it shows how the Society tells us one thing about our history, but the proof they offer shows it's not true. Why does the Society tells us that Russel was such a great guy, when he taught a bunch of nonsense that we wouldn't today have any part of?"

"SON", he would answer, "You keep asking those hard questions, and you'll be finding a new place to live!"

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

Interesting Point Bx

Last year my brother who is only 11 years old wanted to get baptised. My mother said that she knows him really well and she feels that he is ready for it.My brother who is still a dub asked her a question " would you alow him not to attend the meetings if he said that he did not believe it and di d not want ot go anymore" she replied that he had to attend the meetings because he was not old enough to make that decision and then she realised what she had said! Needless to say that he is still not baptised and if I have anything to do with it he will never be!

UO
    PS BX E mail me as to how you are getting on please?

• poohbear1962
    poohbear1962

Uncle Onion,

EXCELLENT logic!!! I was baptised at 13, and there is no WAY that ANY kid is old enuff to make that kind of committment at that age!! Even the "secular authorities" recognize this fact, and null contracts made by minors!!!

Thanks for making your point sooo clearly and concisely!!! :-)

Pooh

• poohbear1962
    poohbear1962

Uncle Onion,

EXCELLENT logic!!! I was baptised at 13, and there is no WAY that ANY kid is old enuff to make that kind of committment at that age!! Even the "secular authorities" recognize this fact, and null contracts made by minors!!!

Thanks for making your point sooo clearly and concisely!!! :-)

Pooh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit