Better off PIMA than POMA or POMO.

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

the situation is many of us are PIMA and all putting on a front, sometimes saying something we don’t fully believe. Or at least are actually agnostic about but a hope that it’s true.

but it can be useful if someone is really going through a hard time or has something they are very worried about, to say things like well let’s hope there is not much longer of this old system.

This can be useful in an awkward situation where you just don’t know what to do or say. It’s a little bit of hope that can help when there is nothing else.

My agnosticism just means I won’t look back over decades thinking I wasted my life. You can still have hope being agnostic and this hope is somewhat comforting.

If you believe in evolution there is no possible hope at all everything is pointless and without purpose.

I don’t think the GB are right about everything but I have hope that the Bibles promises may have some truth to them.

This leads to the question are you better off having a little bit of hope, than nothing at all? Are you better off believing something that may not be true? Ignorance is bliss?

I have come to the conclusion that even if evolution is true, for me being agnostic and sitting on the fence having a little bit of hope in the Bibles promises has advantages.

As long as you don’t look back over your life feeling you wasted any of it. Live life to the full and being comfortable with the fact that we may never know the entire truth until the day we die. But that little bit of hope there is better than nothing at all.

that’s where I’m at. Better off PIMA than POMA or POMO.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    If you believe in evolution there is no possible hope at all everything is pointless and without purpose.

Why do you feel this way? I'm a happy atheist (exJW like yourself) who's come to the understanding that evolution is true. It's simply the best explanation of the observable facts around us.

I have plenty of hope and purpose in my life, mostly centred around the people I love. Life is good without god.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

But there is no hope after death if you believe the origin of life was chance

• sektenausstieg
    sektenausstieg

so what? as in "life of Brian": you come from nothing and you go to nothing - so what do you loose?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Some people think evolution is one of the best arguments against naturalism and by implication in favour of God. I think this argument has a lot of weight. It’s difficult to explain how we exist as conscious beings who understand the world around us unless it was intended that way. The idea of evolution producing reliable perception on a purely naturalistic basis doesn’t make much sense.

https://youtu.be/cs6zFymVKJM

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

That has always been true, the sad thing is that we all fell for the lie that there IS life after death. It's our mortality that makes life so precious, why we have to make the most of our time and find our own purpose and direction.

Welcome to reality.

• Simon
    Simon

So? If you think "believing" or wishful-thinking changes anything you're living in la-la-land.

You only ever had one life, so live it and enjoy it. Don't waste it just because there isn't another magical one waiting in the wings.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Looks like you're searching, ExBe

Perhaps there isn't one. Just because we want one, doesn't mean there has to be a point.

Just like there's no point being a JW(tm), it'll end in nothing.

that’s where I’m at. Better off PIMA than POMA or POMO.

Better than being any, just be yourself.

I'm POMN

Physically Out, Mentally Nihilist.

Our struggles are within our own head.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough
    better to have hope IMO...i would hate to think there is nothing better than this vanity and futility.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

When I was a true believer, the one thing I feared more than anything was being destroyed by Jehovah God at Armageddon. Thank goodness it's all a load of bullshit.

I've got my life to live, and when I die, I die. I can take that. Any kind of afterlife is a bonus. I kinda hope there is an afterlife. Not for me, but for my mum. She was paralyzed from the neck down due to a stroke at age 44, and died at 51. She didn't deserve that. If I die at 70 or 80 then fine, I will have had my life.

BTW, I don't believe in evolution, I accept it because I value intellectual honesty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit