The Sickening Sadism of Christianity

by cofty 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Burning heretics alive was a common practice in medieval Europe. I cannot begin to imagine the depravity of the mind that invented this cruelty, let alone the inhumanity and callousness of those who carried out the act. Sometimes an individual would take pity on the victim and hide gunpowder among the wood faggots to hasten their death.

There is only one way to make this scenario even more depraved, infinitely depraved in fact; and that would require magic powers. Imagine you could make it so that the victim never found escape from their agony through death, not just to extend their pain for a few hours or days but literally for all eternity.

Now imagine you could impose this penalty on untold millions of humans; not as a punishment for hideous acts against others but for thought-crimes.

Anybody who can worship and adore a deity who invented this incredible depravity is a moral imbecile. Christians believe they can celebrate in heaven, eating, drinking and praising their god within sight and sound of a scene that would make Auschwitz look like a holiday camp.

Christianity is a death cult and its most ardent followers are sadists.

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

Cofty: quote-"Christianity is a death cult and its most ardent followers are sadists."

Agreed, Like this guy:

Why Do JW's Believe that Hell is Symbolic When the Disciples of the Apostles believed it Was Literal ?

by Sea Breeze i

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

You are starting with a presupposition that Christianity is uniform in beliefs. It is not.

Ever actually pay attention to Paul’s words?

1 Corinthians 15

21 For since death came through a human, the resurrection of the dead has also come through a human, 22 for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ.

Who will be made alive in Christ? Some or all?

Romans 5

18 Therefore just as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all, so one man’s act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all.

Adam’s trespass led to condemnation for all compared to Jesus whose act leads to justification and life for all. Not some. All.

Colossians 1

19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross.

Through the cross, God reconciled himself to all things. Not some. All.

How does Revelation describe the New Jerusalem?

Revelation 21

25 Its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there.

The gates are never shut. But nothing unclean will enter.

27 But nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Revelation 22

14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they will have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Those who wash their robes will be allowed to enter by the gates. Those who have not remain outside. But those gates are never closed.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Oh, I think cofty understands all too well how fragmented Christianity is. We have topics here were devout Christians continue to discuss and debate important doctrines of Christianity which remain unresolved after centuries of debate and discussion and interpretation and reinterpretation and the endless reciting of scriptural texts linked together to support and reject the same concepts.

Me, I think that the problem with Christianity (and pretty much all religions) is that it starts with a fair number of presuppositions which undermine any possible attempts at analyzing its claims objectively. Until we are willing to put those aside and rebuild our foundations of spiritual knowledge and understanding, we'll keep going in these circles.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

Where Judaism has it right, and much of Christianity has it wrong, is most of Judaism is not afraid to explore different interpretations. Their rabbinical commentaries are full of diversity of thought.

Even within the Bible, where an Old Testament author or even a New Testament author is quoting or alluding to another Old Testament writing, their use of scripture is far outside the original context.

Within Christianity many denominations go so far as to even condemn ecumenism.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo
    Their rabbinical commentaries are full of diversity of thought.

Is that another way of saying confusion?

All religions are made up- including Judaism.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Universalism is the belief that ultimately everyone will be reconciled with God and saved. This view has a long history in Christianity and makes good sense of many NT texts too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_universalism

Apocatastasis is the related belief that all of creation will be restored to perfect harmony with God with no exclusions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocatastasis

Again this view has much to recommend it from a biblical and rational perspective.

• cofty
    cofty

If a christian doesn't believe in eternal torment then the OP isn't aimed at them. Hope that helps.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Perhaps a little of- topic, but still worth a mention.

In the words of the Canadian poet, Robert Service, in his poem The Song of the Wage Slave:

When the long, long shift is over,

And the Big Boss gives me my pay,

I hope it is not to Hellfire, like I’ve heard the preacher say,

And I hope it is not to Heaven, not with some of the preachers I’ve met.”

Bloody Hell, but I can sure identify with that sentiment!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners have much more fun" Billy Joel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit