What day off the Week?

by BereanThinker7 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

Does anybody know if the Borg has ever done any articles on what day of the week they think Jesus died? I know most denominations think it was Friday and I have also heard somewhat sensible arguments that it could be Wednesday. Not that it matters weather one in a believer or not even.

I was just curious if they have even contended with that controversy as the Borgs biblical scholarship has gone from fanciful in the past to often plain ignorant nowadays.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All it would show is they don't know what they are talking about when they are so certain when this thing died. So many other things they were so sure of are wrong.

One thing is certain: It is reasonably possible that jesus didn't die at all. And I don't mean it was simply removed from its body without dying, either. If jesus is totally false, it was never born (not in late September, not on December 25, not at all). Nor did it die--it never existed at all, so it couldn't have died. Rather, that thing is the archetype of the perfect slave--which cannot die at all. (And is about to be fulfilled, with Noahide Laws, political correctness, common sense and science outlawed, our culture destroyed, and all of us suffering massively due to mandatory torture shots.)

• johnamos
    johnamos

Died Friday April 3, 33c.e

Raised Sunday April 5, 33c.e

Returned to heaven Thursday May 14, 33c.e.

Will return AFTER the GT is cut short/ends

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

Dear

WTWizard,

If your not going to contribute a comment that actually answers my question and instead bring up "mythicist theories" then please just move it along. Neither atheist or agnostic historians scholars give an ounce of credibility to the mythicist idea. If you don't think that there was a Jewish man named Jesus that lived in Palestine and killed by the Romans, then you have no basis to think any ancient historical person existed at all.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, seeing as you apparently believe in some "mandatory torture shot" nonsense.

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7
    johnamos Thank you, do you happen to have a publication reference?
  • johnamos
    johnamos
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

The problem the Borg have to explain is that the Gospels contradict each other on the day and time of Jesus death. This is obviously a problem for other denominations too, and I have seen many Mental Gymnastics involved in trying to resolve it.

What Bible literalists do not acknowledge is that the Gospel writers, in common with nearly all other Bible writers, were not writing literal history or telling of events they necessarily believed happened. They wrote each with his own Agenda, so if that agenda demanded that Jesus died on a different day, or at a different hour to that of other Gospel writers it mattered not .

I cannot remember any Article by the JW Org that deals with this. If they did, they too would have to have some pretty fantastic Mental Gymnastics in play.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

They probably never did because it is already a controversy. They seem to only chime in when they think they are the ones with the inside scoop. Like the explanation that Jesus didn't die on a cross because it was a pagan symbol, even though the people putting him to death likely didn't care about such things.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

We don't even know if Jesus was real and if he was most certainly not supernatural. So to try to figure out a myth is something only a cult like the JWs or other nuts would try to do.

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7
    mickbobcat
    Actually it would be called historical reconstruction. If your not interested do bother commenting and continue in your post-modern world where all things that exist, outside of personal lived experience, are simply constructs.

Bart Ehrman (a secular agnostic):
    This is not even an issue for scholars of antiquity.... The reason for thinking Jesus existed is because he is abundantly attested in early sources.... If you want to go where the evidence goes, I think that atheists have done themselves a disservice by jumping on the bandwagon of mythicism, because frankly, it makes you look foolish to the outside world. If that’s what you’re going to believe, you just look foolish.

Michael Grant:
    we can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a mass of pagan personages whose reality as historical figures is never questioned. ..... In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary.

EP Sanders:

Historical reconstruction is never absolutely certain, and in the case of Jesus it is sometimes highly uncertain. Despite this, we have a good idea of the main lines of his ministry and his message. We know who he was, what he did, what he taught, and why he died. ..... the dominant view [among scholars] today seems to be that we can know pretty well what Jesus was out to accomplish, that we can know a lot about what he said, and that those two things make sense within the world of first-century Judaism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit