A culture of conservationism?

by seattleniceguy 13 Replies latest social current

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello!

I'm currently going back to school to study biology and biomimicry. I'm hoping to work to develop green technologies - better energy sources, better product packaging, better waste disposal, and so on. I'm concerned for the Earth, and I sometimes wish that everyone would suddenly start consuming less or more responsibly, but I realize that it simply will not happen overnight. It will involve a major shift in culture, and that shift will not occur until new and better systems are available to the masses. That's why I am focusing my own efforts on practical technologies, rather than on straight activism.

I was thinking about this culture shift, and I think that in many areas it is already quite clearly on. Seattle is, of course, well known for its conservationist culture, but not having lived in many other parts of the world, I wanted to describe a scenario and see how it would play out where you all live.

Imagine that you have a guest over. Your guest drinks a soda from an aluminum can, and when she is finished, she goes to dispose of the can. Under the sink, there is only one recepticle, clearly filled with non-recylcable garbage. "Where's your recycle?" she calls. "Oh, I don't have one," you respond. "Just go ahead and put it in the trash."

Here, you would be met with looks ranging from astonishment to pure shock. Throwing out aluminum! Imagine! I don't think I exagerate when I say that a solid majority of people would probably take the can home in order to dispose of it themselves. I know I certainly would. I have lived around this culture long enough that intentionally sending something to the landfill which could easily be recycled would induce major feelings of waste, something like the feeling of filling up your gas tank and then just pumping a couple gallons of gas all over the ground, just for the fun of it. Disbelief: "Why would anyone do that?" Such is the strength of the sentiment in my area.

What would the reaction be in your area?

SNG

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The reaction in my area "okay *crunkles can in half and tosses*" People here to a large part can't be bothered to recycle. I've seen people throw a can in the trash when there is a recycling recepticle available. I think the problem is people don't care enough to go to any effort. I'm not sure what the solution is but that's the way things are here unfortunately.

• tink
    tink

i've noticed a great increase in environmental awareness over the last few years here in sacramento. most people i know recycle. i guess i notice the dietary aspect of environmental consciousness more than anything else due to my veganism, and in that regard i've noticed a HUGE difference in recent years. when i first went vegan seven years ago there was such a dearth of resources available for veg*ns, and now there are several organic grocery stores that cater to veg*ns as well as a ton of veg*n restaurants, etc. things are trending positive. :)

• Mulan
    Mulan

I live in the Seattle area, and while we do recycle paper and glass and tin, occasionally I just toss it into the trash container under the sink. I know that doesn't let me off the hook, and we do recycle, but it isn't a consuming passion of mine. There are people at the garbage dump whose job it is to go through the stuff and seperate it.

Anyone need a job??

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I try to recycle as much as possible, however I think as a whole we are becoming more wasteful than ever.

I went to a department store the day after Christmas and they had a large quantity of a certain model of microwave oven for sale, apparently they overstocked a bit. And more watches than I have ever seen in one place in my life. I started to wonder, what the hell do they do with all the merchandise that doesn't sell? Does it get tossed?

And don't get me started about the mountains of paper waste generated by junk mail, magazines, books that people read one time and toss, etc.

The culture shift you are speaking of will never come about by people becoming more conscientious. As long as gas is under $1.50 a gallon, no amount of preaching is going to prevent people from buying Hummers. Economics has to be the driving force for change. It will take a dramatic rise in the price of natural resources combined with measurable, unmistakable proof of global warming (such as massive, destructive hurricanes and other bad weather) to bring about the necessary changes.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

We are slowly getting into recycling. People in the big cities are already more used to it than in the countryside (where I live). I'm probably slightly more sensitive to it than the majority, but I wouldn't bother too much in the situation you describe. It's a quantitative matter, so the daily habit is more important than an occasional gesture. (And maybe, because of my religious background, I wouldn't like getting "pharisaic" about it!)

• lastcall
    lastcall

I live in Indiana in a suburb of one of the largest cities. Here most wouldn't bat an eye if you threw the can in the trash.

One problem is that we are charged extra for garbage pickup if we choose to have recycle pickup as well.

Yes once again I guess it comes down to the all-mighty dollar. The alternative, halling the stuff to the recycle center yourself, it would seem, requires too much time and effort.

Your right, the solution really requires not only a culture shift, but some unique ideas that make conservation cheaper, easier, and require less sacrifice. Sad but but true.

Good luck.

LC

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I think most people would be a bit disturbed but wouldn't say anything, since most of us are students and live in complexes where recycling is not available.

We drag our stuff to the recycling on campus, but I admit sometimes I toss stuff I shouldn't which is baaaaad considering I'm studying environmental attitudes in others. Hubby (the PhD student in ecology) usually keeps me honest.

While we're on the subject, does anyone live in an area where recycling is easily available to apartment complexes (ie - right by the dumpsters?)?? It has always chapped my hide that people who live in condos/townhouses/apartments have to haul their recycling somewhere, when there is curbside recycling for houses...which means most don't do it, and many would if it was easy.

Also, I've lived in rural areas where the nearest recycling was so far away that the gas used to get there probably made the environmental friendliness moot. But this was over a decade ago - I'm hoping that's changed.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Thank you all for your comments so far. I liked your point, Tink, about food consumption habits as a litmus test for conservationism. In Seattle, too, the resources available for both vegans and vegetarians, as well as what we might call "responsible omnivores" (people who are interested in eating responsibly raised meat products), are very great. There are many co-ops that allow people to buy locally and without much packaging. (I have to admit that I'm not quite fully there, but I intend to get there as my next step.) At such co-ops, you can even bring your own containers and put the bulk food into them so as not to waste packaging.

It certainly inspires me with hope for humanity to see that people are concerned with these things.

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

asleif_dufansdottir: Your husband is a PhD student in ecology? That's awesome. What type of fields are available to a person with that degree?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit