To all the British..{way-way-off topic}

by zev 18 Replies latest jw friends

• montag
    montag

YES!!
    You know, I don't usually say this to other guys Englishman but I think I love you!

MONTAG
    [Livin' in London]

• LDH
    LDH

Newcastle......not COLD but just chilled.....

Being pregnant I'm unable to indulge, so I bought some non-alcoholic beer. My 11 yo tasted it and said, "Mom why can't you just give it up till the baby is born. This is NASTY." Out of the mouths of babes.....

• fodeja
    fodeja
    It's a pleasant enough drink best served ice-cold.

Yes. But, on the other hand, I still don't understand why American beer is usually served just barely above freezing temperature. All the big-brand beer in America that I've tried so far completely lacks something that I appreciate to have in alcoholic beverages: taste!

(To make matters worse, Anheuser-Busch (a.k.a. the evil empire) even stole the good name of that excellent Czech brewery Budweiser-Budvar and put it on their bottled yellow-colored fizzy water. Here's the original: http://www.budvar.cz/ )

f., who loves British beer, but hates the fact that it's so expensive for us continental Europeans :-)

• JanH
    JanH

fodeja,

Yes. But, on the other hand, I still don't understand why American beer is usually served just barely above freezing temperature.

You said it! Becuase freezing it hides the taste, or lack thereof. Good, dark beer from Europe still tastes good when getting slightly temperate. Lagers do not. Crappy beer, like Bud#¤&er, does not taste good at any temperature, but apparently serving it at a freezing temperature makes it possible to force it down.

Personally, I prefer dark ales chilled, but not freezing.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I feel qualified to comment here, having imbibed much of the culture of both sides of the Atlantic.

Ice-cold North-American beers are perfect for hot North-American summers. I never drink dark beers during hot weather. And these beers taste like piss if they get even slightly warm.

On the other hand, a nice "warm" British beer hits the spot perfectly on a chilly evening. Chill these beers, and you lose the lovely complex flavours.

Both are good in their own way. So don't fall into the trap of "one is better than the other"! Enjoy both, and lots of 'em!

Just on a supplementary note: Canadian beers beat the tar out of American beers, any day. And don't give me any back-chat, Americans. I wont take it from a people who put ice in a single malt.

Expatbrit, encouraging intercultural appreciation

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

The thing is that when you americans/ australians whoever.... drink beer at room temperature, you drink it warm....your climate is warm!!!!

Our climate is cold, rainy, damp, or whatever....our beer at room temperature is cold, rainy or damp.........get it!!!

Personally, if i drink at home....my beer is in the fridge(as is most of those i know)....if i drink at the pub....the beer comes out of the barrel (cold, rainy or damp)......either way i like my beer!!!(especially stella artois or grolsch....sometimes possibly caffreys)....

Brits enjoy their beer....however it comes!!!!!

Yours dig

Think not about trying to add days to your life, but instead think about adding life to your days.

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Gladiator
    If you lived in Britain you would not find it a mockable offence to not have air-conditioning.
    Lukewarm , laid-back and lager-hating hot or cold,
    Free

• fodeja
    fodeja
    Good, dark beer from Europe still tastes good when getting slightly temperate.

Yes. I think the entire problem is that some people should finally accept there are legitimate reasons to serve drinks at temperatures *between* the extremes of "boiling" and "can I have an icepick with this, please?".

For instance: Red wines generally should *not* be served completely unchilled (a common myth!), and white wines should *not* be frozen to death (unless they're so sour that you have to stretch them with water or rather use them as salad dressing anyway). And: whatever you do, do NOT put ice in your wine, PLEASE (at least not in public :-)).

It's not so much different with beers. Some types of beer *are* better served at higher temperatures, some at lower temperatures. Even in the Lager department there is not just one true temperature: Weizen is a very fine, tasty beer, but it's almost undrinkable when served too warm. Same goes for Pilsen type beer. Dark Lagers, especially the somewhat sweet/malty varietes, often taste better when served just slightly chilled, just a few degrees below room temperature (unless you have room temperatures of more than 25°C, that is! ;-)).

Hmmmm. 9 o'clock in the morning is too early for a beer, isn't it? Or maybe...?

f.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey y'all, bringing this up to top again cuz i found an interesting article on beer in my local paper..

click here: http://www.startribune.com/viewers/qview/cgi/qview.cgi?template=free_article&slug=tcov08

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit