for those who "grew up in the borg"

by zev 51 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

HAHHA OHH MAN Mulan what a thought!!! what is we ARE stunted, it might be blessing for the world HAHHAHAHAH!!!!

I don't announce that I'm an EXJW not becuase I'm embarrassed so much, but because it takes so long to explain it, and as your all well aware it's still a bit fresh with me and get kinda choked up. It did affect me and how I veiw and realate to people. It was great to find out that most 'worldly' people are great, and Apostates are the BEST!!!

Ven

• CathyM38
    CathyM38

Slipnslide, how well I can relate! Im ALWAYS afraid of someone leaving me as well! How many people has this religion affected this way?

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

My Mom became a witness when I was 4, I got out when I was 27. I lived thru 1975. To me, it was frustrating that I did not choose this religion. I was always made to feel weird by the congregation because I doubted certain beliefs. (Especially by the "super spiritual" family that every congregation seems to have). So, I was made to feel weird in school because I was a Witness. Every year, the same thing. "What did YOU get for Christmas?" What a "perfect" opportunity to preach about my beliefs. (Yeah, perfect opportunity to get my ass kicked....good will and peace towards man my ass!!). And, to add insult to injury. I was made to feel weird by certian (saying with disgust) "christians" in the congregation. Some have posted that being a witness turned them off to other religions. Since leaving, I've tried others, and, my experience shows that the other religions aren't really any better. It's very very sad. It seems that it's only about the money. Witnesses judge your spirituality by how many hours you spend in field service and by how many magazines you place.(love that word..Should be "Sell").
    So called "Born Agains" judge you by how much you tithe. Why should I have to spend $60 to $100+ for a bible in a christian book store. Makes me think of the time when Jesus turned over the money tables in the temple. (Remember from "Listening to the Great Teacher?). Anyway, sorry for the rant. I guess after all these years, it still bugs me.

• Snowball
    Snowball

Hehee..yea I grew up in the borg too. My hero is 7of9 who also had to struggle with leaving what she was raised in.

My world-view has changed drasticcally, but I still feel like I am the same person. My moral and ethical values are still rather modest and conservative. I guess I am not like that story of the spring that gets let go of too fast and goes wild.

One thing about me now is that ive become rather withdrawn and hermitlike. I used to be in the center of the social circle in my KH, but now Ive got used to being alone.

Its hard to say what has affected me so much being raised a JW because I got no real frame of reference for what it would be like if I wasnt a JW growing up. aw heck...I guess Im a basket-case for life ! ;-) lol

Snowball
    (Wayne)

• somebody
    somebody

hi, zev

Having gone through my school years from the 4th grade to high school graduation, I went through being the outcast/freak for all those years too. very hard. When I worked part time during my high school years, I never told co-workers that I was a JW either. And like so many others here, I didnt tell any co-workers in my adulthood for years and years later. I'm also of the emotional retard class.

peace,
    somebody

• Carmel
    Carmel

Growing up as a "witkid" had both positive and negative effects for me. Like many of you, I hated being singled out for silly reasons like not saluting the flag, not participating in christmas programs, holloween parties, even valentines day for cripes sakes! On the other hand I learned quickly and well the ability to address large audiences, to make presentations, speaking extemporaneously, etc. My response to the social pressures at school, rather than retarding my social skills simply steeled my resolve to defend that which I believed even if I were a minority of one. Leaving the mindcontrol, I look back and realize how skeptical toward the world it had made me. I will always use that skepticism to examine very carefully those that come with a dogmatic message whether on one end of the belief spectrum of the other.

I've never had a problem sharing with others my JW background as it is a platform for interesting discussions.

A River Dirt Cheap

carmel

• DrunkWithLiberty
    DrunkWithLiberty

Hi Zev,
    I was raised a winess at age 6. Elementary school was hard when I couldn't participate in the holiday stuff, flag salute( daily), and some of the assignments given. My friends never gave me a hard time, in fact, I was rather popular. They accepted me for who I was. The teachers on the other hand could be terrible. One music teacher hated J.W. kids for some reason (he actually hit one teenager in band for not playing an anthem). I would leave his class terrified and stressed out. Another teacher would storm out of the room to call my mother to find out why I couldn't do certain assignments. I always felt so awkward trying to explain my beliefs to them.
    As for telling others I was a witness (left a little more than 2 years ago), I do it easily, almost in celebration. It helps me heal and I have only had one negative comment from others( "You are so gullible"). Most people have friends or family in the org. Most are also amazed at the things we discuss( almost 9 out of 10 make the comment " It sounds like a cult").
    My transition out of the org. has been fairly easy, but do not have family in who shun me (friends do of course but who needs friends like that). Leaving for me was this huge, beautiful, interesting world opening up to me and I finally have the chance to be my real self. Life is good.
    Love to you and all others on the board, angeleah

• Tina
    Tina

Hi zev,
    I don't bother to tell folks I meet Im an ex-jdub. It's a part of my past and holds no relevance to my life now. If asked specifically tho,I have no problem relating about it.

Being raised a jw had more negatives then postives.
    I had to work very hard on the social,emotional,psychological,and academic deficits such a lifestyle produced. Hard work and some sacrifice but worth more than anything in this world.Regards,tina

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I began my "sentence" in BOrg prison at the age of seven. Experienced all the awkwardness and pain of growing up "dubbie". It didn't help that I was also one of the so-called "brains" at school.

Since college was not in my future, I tried to take the "business" classes, but I was bored to tears. In fact, several teachers confronted me with the question of why I was taking those classes....was I just looking for an easy ride? Fortunately, several of them helped me get past the school rules and allowed me to take some college level classes. I still had to deal with the censure of being a JW, but at least it wasn't boring any longer.

After leaving the BOrg, I spent many years not know what to do or how to act. I'm a shy person by nature, and I'm definitely in the "social retard" class. I also spent years feeling "not good enough" even though my managers would tell me I was doing a good job and I'd get raises and promotions.

It's only been the last couple of years when I could talk about having been a JW. So far, response has been positive and curious. I'm always glad to fill others in on the absurd belief system I followed for so long.

I've found, too, that I've been able to help co-workers who were close to getting sucked in by a similar cult by telling them of my experiences, and helping them to find information about the "cult du jour" on the net. It was a good feeling to be able to actually help to save someone's life rather than help to destroy it by trying to convert them.

• LDH
    LDH

Well I must be the only one here embarrassed ..... Probably because I didn't leave when I should have left (when I was df'd). Instead I busted my hump not only to get back in but to pioneer, to 'prove' that I was a good JW!

Well read my thread (p.3) called "My husband embarrassed me".....Those who haven't grown up in it don't seem to understand some of us just want to leave our behind.....past us.

Or is that our past behind us?

El Kabong welcome to the board.
    Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit