The WTS and Dictatorship

by Defender 16 Replies latest jw friends

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

defender,

While your analysis is accurate in that subjects of the WTS dictatorship are there willingly, and ardently defend it, it is also true that those who want to leave are free to do so. In fact, the Witnesses are anxious to immediately eject opposers from their ranks. This is one of the ways that they protect themselves. (Or rather, it's a way in which their God protects them.)

Infiltration by opposers would be an effective way to bring down the organization, but it would have to be a fairly massive infiltration, lasting and growing for many years. I don't know of any ex-JWs or other opposers who would be willing to participate in something like that. We all have better things to do with our lives.

Although it is difficult and traumatic, those who discover the truth (as we here see it) about the organization may leave, and often do leave. We here can help these people gather the courage to make the break, and help them clean up the mess afterward and create new lives for themselves. This is a good service. We are serving the cause of humanity, and of love, justice, widowm and power, which is to say (for those who are religiously inclined) God/dess.

Maybe there is a way to organize those who become opposers-in-spirit, and for whatever reasons, choose not to leave.... Maybe this is already being done. Is anyone aware of such an organization of opposers within? It seems that it would be extremely difficult to maintain an effective organized oppositional effort, under such circumstances. And what could be done to cause trouble from within?

George

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

Yes, dictatorship is in many ways the most effective form of government, and Christ's Kingdom as understood by the Witnesses is nothing if not a benevolent dictatorship. Theocracy has always been understood as organized from the top down. For many years, I supported benevolent dictatorship by Jehovah and Jesus, as expressed and represented on earth by the "faithful and discreet slave." I even explained the nature of the Kingdom and the JW org to others as "benevolent dictatorship."

What I eventually realized was that the (JWs' version of) Theocracy had not treated me benevolently. My self-talk in expressing my realization went something like this: "There is nothing I have gained from association with the Witnesses that I could not have gained (as effectively, if not better) by other means, and my association with them has, in many ways, done me tremendous harm." This is of course, a summary. I could and did enumerate and explain (to myself) a lot of specific examples in support of my conclusions.

As soon as I felt confident that my analysis was correct, the next point to be assimilated was that a religion that could and did have such effects on a person's life could not originate with a God of love, a God who was worthy of my worship. Thereupon, I immediately terminated my association with the Witnesses (although my DA letter came some time later), and stopped worshipping "Jehovah" as I had understood him / as the Witnesses present him.

George

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I've thought about this alot lately. I think the assessment of the Bethelite mentioned is probably right on the money. When I was at there it was very political with different personalities competing for advances. Cliques seem to go in and out of favor. Someone who was once in a somewhat prestigious position could be found in a rather menial one if they happened to step on the wrong toes. I personally saw it happen on a number of occasions. I think it would surprise the R&F just how much politics and power come into play at Bethel. That being said I am confident that the latest rash of scandals is likely creating different 'camps'. The last I heard, the legal Dept has been rather vocal (toward the GB) on directional issues.

Outside Bethel I think more and more people are taking what the Society says "with a grain of salt" Look how many people get divorced, disfellowshipped in the Kingdom halls these days. Its so frequent that they are shortly welcomed back as if nothing ever happened. Its like they were sent to the penalty box for a few minutes only to come back into the game as if nothing ever happened. This is a departure from the earlier days of shame (in my opinion). I also think its frustrating to the Society.

• gumby
    gumby
    The average JW VOLUNTARILY chooses to submit to the dictatorial will of the WTS, thinking that it is from God. This behavior is not normal in the real political world. People living under severe dictatorship try to escape it and few if any will want to come and live under it.

In reality......a person who dedicates themselves in baptism as a witness.......has NO IDEA of the AMOUNT of authority they are to abide by. Many who have simply studied and became a witness within a year or two......do not know all of the peculiar elements and beliefs within the organisation.

They might be able to verbally state some disfellowshipping offences, but they have no idea how these transpire and the effects it has. Just a few days ago a poster stated the reason she left the witnesses was because of the "two classes" of christians the witnesses teach. She had no idea evidently, that she HAD to believe it THE ORGANISATIONS way.

Many on this board try to "escape", and have to actually get a GAME PLAN for doing so.

Gumby

• Maverick
    Maverick

Gumby brings up an excellent point here. I sure had no idea how much the Governing Body ran things! Having never gone to Meca...er Bethel, I had no clue just how big the whole Organization was. It was the video, " The Organization Behind the Name" that helped me see how slick they were. If the new-meat had a true picture of who runs what, they would run for the hills and not for the Hall!

CruithneLaLuna gave me an idea. As paranoid as the J-dud Masters are why don't we all spread a rumor that there is a secret group staying in who are trying to topple the WatchTower from within. Gossip is a major tool used by the duds, let's turn that to our advantage! As with any oppressive group they will want to purge this post haste! There are many who stay in just to avoid the shunning and many who are on the boarder. Let's give them a little push. It would not take much for the "fringe" to see how awful their overlords really are! Maverick

• IT Support
    IT Support
    The average JW VOLUNTARILY chooses to submit to the dictatorial will of the WTS, thinking that it is from God.

I totally agree, and isn't this is exactly what Ray Franz says in CoC?

?I try in my own mind and heart to understand the feelings of all [Jehovah?s Witnesses], including those of the Governing Body. Based on my own [60 years] experience among them I believe that they are, in effect, the captives of a concept. The concept or mental image they have of ?the organization? seems almost to take on a personality of its own, so that the concept itself controls them, moves them, or restrains them, by molding their thinking, their attitudes, their judgments? The?concept of ?the organization? ? becomes, in fact, the dominant, controlling force.? Crisis of Conscience, p. 296

A friend I have got to know on another board has almost finished writing a book he has titled "Captives of a Concept" which comes from this quote. He sent me a draft and it's a very good explanation of how this process occurs.

Best wishes,

Ken

• metatron
    metatron

Amen to the remarks about internal politics within the organization. You have cliques and factions quietly contending with each other.

Most of the people who wanted to change Soviet communism didn't want to destroy it. They just wanted change. Yet, the system

was allowed to fill up with so much rot that nothing could save it. I'm hoping this is the future of the Watchtower - and I'm encouraged

to think that it is because the old men in charge fail to build any infrastructure that might redeem their organizational idol .

No Bible college, no clear, well-thought out theology, little or no internal charity, no day-care, you name it.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit