News spot for JW convention - keep barf bags ready

by days of future passed 18 Replies latest social current

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

The fat shaming on this thread is reprehensible and petty.

We don’t know this guy’s individual situation.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The fat shaming on this thread is reprehensible and petty.We don’t know this guy’s individual situation.

Isn't that called an ad hominem attack?

Isn't there legitimate criticism to be said about the "JW Message" without criticizing the looks of the JW?

• carla
    carla

The fat shaming can be petty. However, years ago jw's used to be counseled about being overweight, don't know if they still are. jw's claim that they are above the rest of us or at least they like to think so. They are happier, healthier and generally more moral. I would assume this man has some power of authority within the org? He must be an elder or ms?

Has he ever counseled someone on smoking, drinking or participating in 'dangerous' sports or activities? We don't know but it is quite possible he has in the past. Don't you think it hypocritical for someone who is clearly obese to be in the position of counseling others on their behavior and life when he clearly has issues himself? Do as I say not as I do?

If you want to be in a position of judging others and keeping a cong in line then perhaps you would be taken more seriously if you have all your own ducks in a row first. I am sure many here have been counseled or even df'd by men who are less than stellar themselves be it overindulging in food, alcohol, prescription drugs, etc... having an affair, is lustful or just plain an ungodly jerk. I can understand the posters who point out the obvious flaws of elders or other men of power they see on videos or in the press. I am sure it brings back all the hypocrisy and pain they have endured and are merely doing a bit of joking around and/or venting.

If the man has some sort of thyroid issue it is possible to deal with it in today's world. If he even took a 1/4 of the time he takes on jw activities and put that time towards improving his health he could in all likelihood show improvement. It takes as much commitment to his own health as it does to be committed to being a jw though.

• bildad
    bildad

Of all the things to criticize, you focus on this man's weight?

Obviously, leaving the Org has not made some more Christlike.

What if his problem is deep depression causing over eating because of his religion?

Maybe more empathy is called for.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"The fat shaming on this thread is reprehensible and petty." - Jehalapeno 5 hours ago

" What? It certainly IS ok to offend. At least in the USA. In this country, everyone has the right to offend. Being offensive, while not "polite", is still okay." - Jehalapeno 1 year ago

It's nice to see that you have grown as a sensitive human being over the last year. Perhaps being involved on this forum has done you some good.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

These spots are paid for by WT. I used to do something similar on radio. You can pay for advertising or spots like this or you can even host a show that pushes your agenda or products. All paid for of course. Doubt very much the tv station did this of their own accord.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Sparky1: I didn’t say it was offensive, I said it was reprehensible and petty.

see, I am very precise in my words. (Thanks, Jordan Peterson!)

• nugget
    nugget

Totally bait and switch. Saying that they offer help dealing with the problems and anxieties they face where in reality it is about conditioning the faithful to be obedient to the directives of the GB. To stick with the crazy because the world hates JWs and is corrupt.

No collections but plenty of collection boxes.

• sparky1
    sparky1

REPREHENSIBLE Synonyms:

censurable, exceptionable, objectionable, obnoxious, offensive - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Synonym: "one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses". - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Perhaps Jordan Peterson can help you to determine the difference between excessive scrupulosity and precision in the use of language.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit