What I would do if I were God....

by Aztec 28 Replies latest jw friends

• greven
    greven

If I were God I would be completely bored.I mean really, what would you be doing all day eternity?

God's plan of operations sofar:

Hey let's create a planet full of critters, what the heck eh? Gotta do something to keep me occupied...

Hmm... these humans are not doing what I want, so I'll kick them out of that garden. That'll learn them hah!

Hmmmmm...they are still not doing what I want, I'll flood the place! Yeah, that will put them off!

What the...? What's that tower doing in my backyard? They are trying to get up here! Invasion! Red alert! Intruders detected in heaven Sector 3 Grid 9, battle stations! Oh, well I'll confuse their language... problem solved.

Hmm, these communication difficulties the're having is causing quite a few wars among them...and they are still not doing what I want! Geeeesh! I thought those cockroaches I made were persistent but these buggers are really annoying! I'll blowtorch them ha! Armageddon toast!

hmm. let's see if they now do what I want...

• dh
    dh

It'd have to be suicide.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

"For the thoughts of YOU people are not 'my' thoughts, nor are 'my' ways YOUR ways." I'd keep you in suspense and guessing what I'm up to.

Guest 77

• blondie
    blondie

When I saw this question, it reminded me of a movie trailer I just saw before LOTR. This man had the power to go back in time and change events to try to stop his lover from dying. Each time he changed something, it made it worse because he could not see/grasp the whole of human living at one time.

I feel I would do the same thing. Unless I can see how each event connects and flows, I would be afraid of making things worse. It's not easy being God and keeping everyone happy and safe.

Blondie

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

1. If I were God, I would make Cuban Rum and Cigars legal for USA Consumption.

2. I would maintain a greater Christian presence in the Holy Lands.

3. I would resurrect Elvis and send him on a 200 Nation tour.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I'd drench the Middle East in blood and fire - oh wait, you guys seem to be doing that pretty well on your own.

Every time Anna Quindlen opened her mouth, she'd fart. A nasty, smelly, loud, prolonged cotton-painter splattergun of an intestinal convulsion. The overall effect wouldn't be too different from the BS she puts out now.

I'd create a secret society of superheros with magical powers and send them forth to do my bidding. These mighty warriors would pursue truth, justice, and 24 hour liquor stores.

I'd set up a date and time to hear Carl Sagan. And then I'd spin the arrogant prat sideways through the next 97 dimensions and humble him forever.

The swedish bikini team would be radically expanded to provide employment for the Third world in support and maintenance of this World Heritage Treasure.

Mandatory thongs and hip huggers for all XX chromosomes. THOU SHALT BACK THINE ASS UP!

I'd create four new kinds of precipitation, based on four new forms of water, and then drop them in random and unexpected places. These new precipitations would be called: Forks, Spew, Popcorn, and Chunk. (It's forking cold outside, but soon it will spew. There should be enough popcorn to go buttering (a kind of skiing done on popcorn) but watch out for large lumps of chunk in the road.)

And I'd have a fireside chat from Hell.

CZAR

PS: Hey gentlesoul, welcome to the board. We are a rough and tumble bunch of blasphemers here, so don't get offended. Many of us are bitter at God, most don't believe in him, and even my own relationship with him is highly dysfunctional, like most of my relationships.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Thi Chi,

You can have two of your wishes without being God. If you go to Jerusalem, just outside of town on the road from Tel Aviv, you can stop a the "Elvis Resturaunt". Big brass statue of him outside with his guitar and inside all the walls covered with pictures from the 60's and early 70's. As to the Christians, you'll find a Kingdumb hall in down town Tel Aviv and Haifa. Don't think they have the balls to erect one in Jeru. Don't need any more evangilists or crusuaders in Israel. Enough nuts already!

carmel

• ThiChi
    ThiChi
    AP
    1 hour, 57 minutes ago

By RAVI NESSMAN, Associated Press Writer

BETHLEHEM, West Bank - There is no Christmas tree in Aida Ghaneim's Bethlehem home this year. No festive lights hang from the ceiling, and the 48-year-old mother of four has no plans to cook her usual feast.

It is not that Ghaneim is abandoning Christmas. On the contrary, she said, "It abandoned us."

A shriveling economy, continuing Israeli restrictions and other hardships caused by three years of Mideast violence have left Christians living in the traditional birthplace of Jesus with little desire to celebrate.

Few of Bethlehem's usual decorations are in place: A Santa outside one shop, a few lights outside another. Many of the red, green and blue lights strung over the streets around Manger Square are burned out.

The Palestinian Authority ( news - web sites ), saying it lacks the money, refused the town its usual $100,000 decoration budget, forcing local officials to scrounge up $10,000 on their own.

"The whole atmosphere of Christmas is gone," said Jane Bandak, 18, whose family's traditional 30-person Christmas meal will shrink to half a dozen guests this year.

Some Christians have decided to ignore the holiday that was once the high point of their year. Others have fled abroad, splitting up their families. About 2,000 of the town's 28,000 Christians have left during the recent violence, local officials say. They now make up only 35 percent of a town they once dominated.

Checkpoints, curfews and closures, enforced by Israel to stop Palestinian suicide bombings that have killed more than 400 Israelis over the past three years, make it hard for families spread across the West Bank to get together.

Israel says it plans to ease travel restrictions for Palestinian Christians over the holiday, but many Palestinians are skeptical. They say they do not want to spend their holiday waiting at roadblocks.

Before the violence flared, Christmas Eve was an all-night reunion for the Ghaneim family.

Between 30 and 40 relatives came from all over, from Ramallah, Jerusalem, Jenin and even Jordan to roast chestnuts, play cards, exchange gifts, and drink anise and beer in Ghaneim's home.

"No one slept. The few who did were on the couch and on the floor," she said.

On Christmas Day, she would spend the morning visiting relatives and then serve a feast of stuffed chicken and chunks of lamb with rice and yogurt for as many as 20 people.

Now, Ghaneim's family is in debt. One son is in school, a second is unemployed and her third son is abroad looking for work. Her husband also left, heading for the Ivory Coast to seek a job. Though her family has not been directly hit by the violence, "Every mother gets affected when she sees others' kids dying," she said.

Tired, cash-poor and depressed, she canceled her usual 10-day pre-Christmas shopping spree and has not gone to church once in recent days, though she used to attend every day in the week before Christmas.

The Christmas Eve party has disappeared amid the violence and restrictions. The Christmas feast is gone as well.

She plans to eat Christmas lunch with just her mother-in-law and father-in-law, and she has no plans to cook anything festive.

"I'm so demoralized, I can't invite anybody this year," she said. "My heart is closed."

Much of Maha Saca's family has gone abroad as well, and in a personal protest of the conditions here, the 50-year-old crafts shop owner has decided to forego her usual Christmas tree, straining under the weight of tiny Santas and green and red ornaments.

"I feel ashamed to celebrate anything," she said.

The Rev. Mitri Raheb, pastor of Bethlehem's Evangelical Lutheran Christmas Church, complained that while Christians around the world prepare to sing Christmas carols harking to this town, few appear concerned with the plight of the place where Jesus was born.

"The majority of Christians really don't know what is going on in the little town of Bethlehem," he said.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Better to rule in hell than serve in heaven.

If I were God I wouldn't do anything, because I wouldn't exist.

Expatbrit

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

If God had a name, what would it be
    And would you call it to his face
    If you were faced with him in all his glory
    What would you ask if you had just one question

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good
    yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us
    Just a slob like one of us
    Just a stranger on the bus