Religious Discrimination; now LEGAL

by lastmanstanding 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Nice post Barb. Im going to give you a call to tell you a very interesting story.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

OK, lastmanstanding, I'm all ears! ;-)

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Something similar happened to me. A confidential blood matter reached the CO and he was blabbing it to every Tom Dick and Harry at the Halls. Unbeknownst to him, he blabbed it to the source. That day, I knew this was a man unapproved by Jesus.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Aclue... was your situation actionable? Can you discern how the confidential info got out?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I think that the title of this thread is misleading and inaccurate.

Religion is not being discriminated against - what is being targeted and stopped is people who break confidentiality laws, regardless of their religion (or because of their religion).

Refusing to hire someone because their religion lacks a respect for confidentiality laws is not discrimination, it is respect for what is legal.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Newsflash. There are businesses that are now discriminating in their hiring practices based on the fact that you are a JW.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Orphan, Your point is well taken, however the line is fine.

When a religion has, as part of its religiousness, a published teaching that is damaging to the social fabric, then there is no difference in the discriminatory action taken against the religion.

One cannot separate the teaching from the religion. It’s not a matter of a ‘baby vs the bathwater’. The baby and the bathwater are inseparable. So if the bathwater is poison, then so is the baby.

When people hear the word discrimination, they immediately conjure up in their minds something negative.

Descriminarion, however, is not a negative term. Sometimes, it’s not only warranted, it’s necessary and just. See affirmative action.

Go to a US border crossing. They are quite discriminating, and the basis for their discrimination is in a constant state of flux.

The teaching concerning the turning in of one’s fellow member in the Watchtower religion is as much a part of the religion as going door to door is part. The Watchtower itself has written this in stone. So, discrimination based on a Watchtowers teaching is discrimination against religion.

But that is now warranted, and desirable.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Considering the Awake! magazine article about a woman in a physician's office who discovers that a fellow JW has had an abortion and the direction it takes that upholding God's standards is most important, has always made me wonder why any medical office or facility would hire a JW. They are setting themselves up for a potential law suit.

• TD
    TD

I would think the "line" could be bolded by the inclusion of a simple ethics questionnaire as part of the hiring process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit