Movie recommendation: Defending Your Life

by seattleniceguy 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I wanted to recommend a movie and see if any of you had ever seen it. The movie is called Defending Your Life, with Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep. It's a comedy, but it strikes at some important truths. The premise is that when you die, you don't go to heaven or hell. Instead, you go to a place called Judgment City, where you have to defend your life before a panel of judges. The sole criterion on which you are judged, however, is whether or not you conquered your fears.

The movie does a wonderful job of showing why a life muddled by fear - even that quirky, nervous kind (illustrated by Brooks' character) - is so less fully lived that one free from it (Streep's character). In fact, now that I think about it, it seems that the vast majority of world problems occur because of some form of fear. The film is great for those after-movie conversations. And since it carries a PG rating, you can even watch it with Witnesses and perhaps stimulate some thinking.

Has anyone else seen it? Good? Bad? ...Scary?

Seattle

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

That movie is one of my favorites.

I just love the ' still don't get the big brain thing'

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I love that movie! Not a laugh out loud comedy, but full of great one liners ("My three percent is swimming." "54%? Is that clocked?") I haven't really cared for Albert Brooks' films since then. It's been kind of hit and miss.

"Fear is a like a fog that keeps you from seeing reality. But if you face it and conquer it, then hang on buddy 'cause you're in for the ride of your life." -- Rip Torn

• Isis
    Isis

I agree, this is a great movie! I own it in fact.

Isis

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    My three percent is swimming

One of my all time favorite movie quotations. We used it to death in college. Good flick, great fun!

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I just saw this movie for the first time this year. It happened to be on cable somewhere so I watched it with my JW dad no less.

I loved it. I thought it was very clever. My dad even liked it too, but of course, it was just the musings of a mere human and wasn't the "truth". *sigh* Sometimes it's hard to remind them that Russell and the GB are all Men who are pretty good at their own little musings.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Hmmmm I will have to seek out this movie...it sounds very interesting..thank you!

• onintwo
    onintwo

Absolutely loved that movie. Talk about it from time to time with friends when certain things occur that remind me of it. Most of my friends have not seen it. Guess it didn't get the big play or big hype like some movies do. No car crash scenes, no nudity, no swearing. Hmmmm.....How could it be worth viewing. Well, Meryl puts on a very good show. Also, Al Brooks character has such dry wit it just cracks me up. "Give me a break! I'm dead." (In response to Meryl's character saying that he appears to be walking a little stiff.) Alot of people just don't get Al Brooks.

Also, try the movie, Lost in America. Another good Albert Brooks film. With Julie Haggerty as his wife.

Onintwo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit