Have you ever been dobbed in, and for what??????????

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

This kind of puritan inquisitorial tactics are the hallmark of those who think they are responsible for another's faith.

I'm so glad I'm out.

I've never dobbed anybody out but myself - I was too self-absorbed and unconcerned, even to the point of narcissism. I had fundamental problems from an early age and didn't really care about the intricacies of right and wrong. I also kept having a sense that I should be as open-minded and tolerant as physically possible.

dobbing, snogging, this is a foreign slangfest, ain't it?

I do know that on one famous occassion, my parents went out to a park in another state - and actually by sheer coincidence overheard several youths from their kingdom hall talking about the elders and smoking. My father, a respected elder, kept my mom from intervening and revealing their presence. He just listened to everything, and then went home and got some elders together and then launched an investigation. It was like a movie. I wouldn't believe it, except it had passed on into congregation legend. The looks on the young people's faces as my father related exactly what they had said and done in another state was apparently priceless.

Let's just say the Holy Spirit myth got a powerful boost that day.

CZAR

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hey Bliss,

Getting ?dobbed-in? made me laugh, it?s not an expression I have come across much before, but I get the idea.

I think sometimes, when good-hearted people are left to themselves, there occurs an outbreak of what you might call ?spontaneous reasonableness?. Decent people will, instinctively and sensibly, ignore other people?s shortcomings or peculiarities, live-and-let-live, and take the view that that ?well, it?s none of our business, it?s not for us to tell them what to think/how to act/live their life?.

But of course this kind of attitude is no good at all for controlling the rank-and-file. Under the repressive Watchtower regime it is everyone?s business to dob in everyone else, nothing may be forgiven, nothing may be turned a blind eye to.

So you?re constantly having brothers dob on others, constantly having elders giving out counsel, no one is allowed to relax for a minute, and everyone is constantly worrying about keeping their ?good standing? in the congregation. Having your ?spiritual maturity? called into question over some conduct or shortcoming comes to be regarded as a social disgrace.

This story shows I think the way the repressive social control works among the dubs.

I remember, back in the early seventies, being invited to a party one Saturday night at the home of Jeanie, one of the teenage girls in our little congregational gang ? we were all going to be there. Word was that some young brothers and sisters from a nearby congregation were invited, too. The basic set-up was that everyone there would be Witnesses in good standing, but it promised to be a half-decent party. There would be alcohol, music, and dancing ? all in moderation, of course.

Jeanie was excited for weeks beforehand. I knew her folks pretty well, and they were decent enough people. Her Dad wasn?t an elder or anything (and never became one, although her brother eventually did); he certainly wasn?t the nazi-type fanatic that some were.

We all turned up, and Jeanie?s dad opened the party, the way you did, by asking Jehovah?s blessing on the get-together. All normal enough. But then it became clear that him and the missus were going to retire to a neighbour?s house ? Witnesses two doors along ? and leave us to it. They would be back at midnight.

Looking back on this now, it?s clear to me that he was just trying to do the best he could for his daughter, giving her an almost-normal chance of a proper teenage party at her house, without mum and dad hanging around getting in the way. He would be only two doors away, he trusted his entirely sensible daughter, and he trusted all of us, too, to not get up to anything , or set fire to the place, or whatever it is ?worldly? kids are supposed to do.

Jeanie?s mum and dad went off to watch Saturday night TV at the witness friends house, and the party got going...

?half hour later, Jeanie?s dad was back.

He?d been called back, by Kenny, an extremely serious, rising young brother, you know the sort - burning with righteous zeal for Jehovah?s organisation (what on earth did she ever invite him for in the first place??)

Anyway, Kenny?s conscience was ?troubling? him. Here was worldly pop music playing ! At Disco volume! Low levels of lighting! Suggestive dancing! It was all very wrong ? and to cap it all there was a song being played with simply unbelievable lyrics!

I remember this so well, Kenny coming back to the party with Ron, Jeanie?s dad, in tow, the lights going on, the hi-fi switched off and Kenny saying to Jeanie?s dad:

?..and then it said - Get Up Like A Sex Machine!?

I couldn?t help smiling. Sure enough, James Brown had been the previous record. I looked over to one or two of my pioneer mates ? our eyes met ? we all agreed in unspoken, knowing looks. What an utter, utter pratt Kenny was. Spoiling the whole thing for everyone.

?Ron, Like A Sex Machine!? Kenny repeated, for emphasis. I can?t find a way to tell you how much sheer outrage he put into those words.

My guess is now, looking back after all these years, Ron knew perfectly well what records Jeanie had, and what she was going to play on the hi-fi. I bet that track had been played a million times in that household before (it certainly had in mine, and pretty much everyone I knew had that song, and played it). Jeanie?s mistake had been in inviting Kenny to the party at all.

However, Ron was caught. Even if he?s wanted to say (my guess is he did want to say) ?Shut up, you uptight little prick, and let everyone have their party? ? he had no way to do so - he?d been publicly called out over this worldly behaviour, and was now compelled, by social pressure, to take a stand for righteousness sake.

So, the lights stayed up, much more ?acceptable? music was played ? Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, and so forth (although Kenny mentioned to me how wrong it was to sing along to ??making love in the afternoon with Cecilia up in my bedroom??)

Anyway, Witness honour was saved. The actions of the tenderest conscience ? Kenny?s ? had dictated the outcome for all.

Ron stayed in the kitchen all evening, sipping beer, looking miserable, not daring to abandon the proceedings again for fear of being denounced by Kenny.

Being denounced for lax standards! Social death among the Witnesses.

Duncan.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

What a prat Kenny was. I'm afraid that I might have been him, though, or at least his twin.

CZAR

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Condoms in the contribution box!!? Toilet paper on the ceiling in the bathroom??

Sounds like Austrialian kids are just as abad as the Mad Max movies!

I was dobbed once when I was in Bethel. Being one that always enjoys a laugh at someone elses expense or misfortune, I am willing to laugh at myself also. Anyway a fellow bethelite joked with me that I was getting baptized at the up coming summer convention. Anyway I laughed and said yes, being one not to get offended at stupid jokes. Anyway he and I had to go to the factory/elder commitee about this joke.

I couldn't believe it! They felt it was a very serious sin to joke about getting baptized when I already was baptized! This was the beginning of the end for my JW career.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I was going to just read this thread I was thinking ..nah I don't recall then it all came CRASSSSSSSHING BACK.

When we lived in Mass two incidents stand out in all their horror.

It was almost Thunder and I's Anniversary think it was our 6th. I had been playing something special thinking of a stripper of something funny. Then I decided to have some "intimate" pictures taken nothing even naked just some sexy nightgowns, thigh high stockings garters but all really tasteful. These were to be taken by a female co-worker, she was also taking pics of me with the kids.

WEEEEEEELLLL my sis in laws were teenagers and somehow it got back to an elder and his wife that we were best friends with, that I was going to have the pics taken. I got a LONG speech whilst we walked on the beachI did the pics anyways and she had to admit that they were "nice" errrrrrrrrrrrrr

The second one was 1her husband the elder and she came to visit we were watching HULK (old one) and The ELDER was acting funny. It was one of Ant's favorite movies. He ended up scurrying out acting weird. I called him and asked him "WTF was his problem he said he didn't "APPROVE" I lit into him, furious OHMYGOD

• Gadget
    Gadget

Sheila, you saving those for the post your picture thread? lol.

• gumby
    gumby
    when my kids went to a dub's home because there was always a do-gooder who would feel compelled to report ANYTHING that sounded

And this is why witnesses gossip to each other more than other humans on this planet!

Witnesses are human.....just like we are, and every other human on this planet. They have sin, and desires, and "weaknesses", like everybody else........yet they do not believe this. They believe you can live a witness defined wholesome life that others cannot attain. When a witness sees another witness not living up to the supposed standards........they fink to others about it. On reason they do this is to justify their own failings.......it makes them feel more normal. A witness is NEVER good enough.

Gumby

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Yes!

Actually I was dobbed last night by Little witch for telling a joke! Not intended to hurt anybody of course and to top off things, I was deleted by a "Moderator" for refusing to apologize to someone who curse at me who violated the "chat room" rules.

How about that?

Waiting to see how long it will be before I deleted again?

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I once narked on somebody by accident!

Twice actually.

One brother was making homophobic remarks and I pointed out that Jehovah could "cure" homosexuality, and named two "former homosexuals" in our very congregation! Why, they were actually married now!

I was later told that I'd stumbled Brother 'Phobe.

The other time was when a sister, mother of five kids, made plans to get her tubes tied. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but I thought, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if the brothers came around to help her with housework and cooking afterwards" and told the elders. All I told them was that Sister X was going to have surgery soon and would appreciate help while she recovered.

So they talked to her and of course the asked her what the surgery was for. Apparently they told her it was unscriptural and for all I know they may have threatened her with DFing. She was pretty pissed off at me afterwards: "Thanks for nothing!" she said.

Damn.

GentlyFeral

• zaphod
    zaphod

i was dobbed in for gossipping by my uncle.

i told my cousin, who does not attend meetings about my younger brother being sexually assaulted by a brother.

he told his dad and his dad told the elders.

and i was the bad guy

zaphod

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit