The Isaiah book?s?

by l3gi0n 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• l3gi0n
    l3gi0n

What was the point of this book? What did we learn? We studied two books, 700+ pages, on the 66 chapters of Isaiah, for 3 years, and what was learned? That god chooses Jehovah witness in 1918?

• Matty
    Matty

Good self-moderation there, l3gi0n!

I think most Witnesses were bored silly by these two books. Lets be honest, most of Isaiah is just rambling nonsense and endless repetition. It can be interpreted in all manner of ways, but the ridiculous supposed typical and antitypical fulfilments of these scriptures as interpreted by the writing department of the Watchtower Society is an insult to anyones inteligence.

• Room 215
    Room 215

These two have a solid claim on being the worst books the WTBTS has eer published. I would just love to see what the NY Times Book Reviewer would make of them! His/her head would hurt down to the roots of the hair! Imagine the countless minor age children that had to endure them when dragged to the book study by their parents, mumbling under their breath all the while: ``just wait until I turn 18"!.

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

All i learned is that it was 607 BCE they destroyed Jerusalem and every prophecy of the past has 3 fullfillments: past, 1st century and in our last-Days

In fact the second book helped me to escape this nonsense

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I think that pretty much every Witness I know was grateful when the Isaiah books were finished. (There were a couple of exceptions, but they were definitely out of the ordinary.)

Lets be honest, most of Isaiah is just rambling nonsense and endless repetition

I'd actually have to disagree with you there, Matty. Most of Isaiah--if properly translated--is actually quite an excellent work of religious poetry, IMHO.

Most of Isaiah's Prophecy: Light for all Mankind is just rambling nonsense and endless repetition, however. Isaiah has a pretty small number of themes, which remain constant throughout the book. The beauty of the writing is in the many different forms of imagery that are used to express those themes. When the WTS keeps explaining the "symbolic meaning" and "multiple fulfillments" of these images, they entirely lose the power of Isaiah's message.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

So what's next in the book study? The new Great Teacher book? Or maybe the Revelation book for the sixth time?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I know that after the Isaiah book, they went into the Worship book. They're doing that at a clip of a chapter a week, however; so they should be done with it in a month or two. I'm not sure what comes after that.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'm thankful I never heard about those WT books (I opened this thread thinking it was about the various "books" included into the Biblical book of Isaiah!!).

But your comments seem to show the "antitypical" stuff is still going on...

• pillsbury
    pillsbury

It is the Draw Close to Jehovah book. It is going to be studied from 3/15/2004 to 5/16/2005.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    But your comments seem to show the "antitypical" stuff is still going on...

Yes. I think that the mid-90's, there was a movement away from a focus on prophecy for a few years, especially after the generation change. The book Pay Atention to Daniel's Prophecy, released in '99, and then the two volumes of Isaiah, released in 2000 and 2001, seemed to be part of an attempt to return to the "meat" or "deeper things" (as the WTS has always characterized its prophetic speculations, which are indeed quite 'deep').

There's nothing new about the doctrine, however. It's all a rehash of Freddie's ideas... "apostate Judah" represents "apostate Christendom", and the restoration of Israel represents the restoration of the "anointed remnant", over and over again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit