Who's Happy To Go Abroad and Drive on the Other Side?

by snugglebunny 19 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I do it most years. Being in the UK, virtually every other country nearby drives on the right. We drive on the left. The first time is a bit bum tweaky I guess. Motorways, autobahns and interstates are dead easy - you just follow the traffic; go with the flow. The problems that can arise are mainly on side roads or roundabouts. But, once you've gained some confidence and actually overtaken another vehicle, wow, that's progress Sometimes, coming back home after weeks abroad can be a bit disconcerting. European cars are mostly clutch and gears, not automatics, so I find I'm usually banging my hand on the door lining instead of reaching for the gear lever for the first hour or two. Of course if you're driving your own car abroad it can be a lot easier, except for the driving position not being correct. How do you find it? Have you tried it? Would you even do it?

• stillin
    stillin

I've made the switch a few times. It's after I get back home and I'm just buzzing down the road and it hits me like a panic! Where am I! Is this right?

• Biahi
    Biahi

When out of the country, I let someone else do the driving. In Rome, they drive like maniacs!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I've driven in Canada, the US and Italy. Motorways in America are half empty so quite easy.

I didn't drive through cities, my husband did that. Don't like driving automatics, sound like they're screaming to change gear.

• cofty
    cofty

If coming to drive in the UK please take care, I have twice met foreign drivers on the wrong side of the road.

Roundabouts are a great invention to keep the traffic moving at busy junctions. Observe to the right as you approach and give way to any traffic on the roundabout or entering from that side. There are some good YouTube videos that will get you up to speed on which lanes to use depending on when you intend to exit. ( see Ashley Neal for example)

(The CPS is currently trying to extradite the wife of an American diplomat who killed a young man by driving on the right and then fleeing back to the USA hiding behind diplomatic immunity)

• cofty
  • Simon
    Simon
    If coming to drive in the UK please take care, I have twice met foreign drivers on the wrong side of the road.

Sorry about that, I think I've just gotten used to being on the right now ... :)

It's actually not too difficult, the busier the roads are the easier it is - the time you go wrong is when it's empty and it's easier to start off on the wrong side.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

i drove in New Zealand and got used to driving on the left side in short order. Where I would tend to mess up was checking to the left first when making turns. Ended up with my head swiveling several times before pulling out.

The checking to the left first when walking across a street is particularly dangerous. I wonder how many people get smacked making that mistake while walking around town in a left side country?

As a friend in New Zealand told me, "In America, you drive on the right side of the road. In New Zealand, we drive on the proper side."

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

Roundabouts really drive me a bit batty, but I'm slowly getting used to those things. My first encounter with one was about 5 years back, but it was not one that I drove on very often (Arkansas). Then I went to visit a relative in Missouri and really got confused, they had added one after we have moved away. Now they added another not far from where I currently live. My husband keeps hitting the curve on that one. lol

• Simon
    Simon

Roundabouts are fantastic - they are much safer (even when they are new to people) and lower maintenance than other junction types and provide for much better traffic flow (fucking 4 way stops or traffic lights, North America sprinkles them everywhere and wonders why the traffic is bad)

I play Cities Skylines, managing traffic is a major challenge in it. I end up reading a lot about junction types and traffic simulations, it's actually really fascinating. I think I need a hobby. Well, a different hobby!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit