Preacher Sentenced After Damning People To Hell

by Gerard 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Gerard
    Gerard

Preacher Sentenced After Damning People To Hell

CLINTON, Iowa - A man who calls himself a street preacher has been found guilty of disorderly conduct for repeatedly yelling at a crowd of people watching a Halloween parade.

A jury took less than an hour on Monday to convict Mike Anderson, of Clinton. He was fined $100 plus court costs for refusing to follow police orders to lower his voice Oct. 27 during the city's annual downtown Mardi Gras parade. He had been yelling ?you're damned to hell? to parade-goers.

?I refuse to pay,? Anderson said after his trial. ?I'm not going to pay a dime to a city that arrests a preacher for preaching the Gospel. I'll sit in jail. I'll rot.?

The judge said Anderson could be charged with contempt of court and jailed for up to 30 days if he fails to pay the fine within 60 days.

Anderson was arrested after a police officer saw him standing on a decorative fountain and shouting into a crowd at the Halloween parade. Anderson refused to stop yelling at people, telling them they must repent or go to hell, the officer said.

The crowd applauded when officers took Anderson into custody.

Police said Anderson crossed the line from free speech to disorderly conduct with his volume, language and the location of his message.

Anderson often stands in front of the Clinton County Courthouse holding signs with religious messages.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/10/national/main536134.shtml

Crap Hitting The Fan

• blondie
    blondie

I live in a university town, and there are 2 men that thump their Bibles and yell at the crowd that they are going to burn in hell. If they impede people walking, then they get asked to move to another location. But it is pretty strenuous and they usually give up after a 1/2 hour. I have seen certain ones bait them though.

Blondie

• Satanus
    Satanus

Interesting. Here in canada, in one province, the part of bible was found by the courts to be hate literature because of it's condemnation of homosexuals.

SS

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl
    I'll sit in jail. I'll rot.?

Good.

• Gopher
    Gopher

This preacher says he's preaching the GOSPEL.

Isn't GOSPEL translated "good news"??

What good news does this preacher have for anyone? "You're going to hell" is good news?

He really needs to be taken to a psychiatric ward. He is a sick man.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Police said Anderson crossed the line from free speech to disorderly conduct with his volume, language and the location of his message.

I wonder if I could claim the same thing next time the JWs visit us.

• jackal
    jackal

There's a guy where I live who stands on a very busy street corner with a bible in hand and harangues people with his sermons. He has a big sing that says, among other things, "Jesus Is White," so I guess you can see where he's coming from. Anyway, the funny thing is that he yells at the top of his lungs, but he wears EARPLUGS so he doesn't have to listen to anyone else (or even himself)!

I guess JWs kind of do the same thing figuratively, in that most don't really listen to what anyone else has to say.

• freelife
    freelife

Even as anoying as the butthead sounds, does anyone think that this would voilate his constitutional right to freedom of speach. Even a$$holes are allowed to say what they please according to the law of our land. leave it to some little hick town in a backwards state to shred on of the most basic laws of our land. Oh and by the way my answer is drop him with a stiff right hook. hee hee hee.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Well it's no secret I'd like to see a bit more of the in your face screaming style of religion be put in it's place a little more often. Barring that I'd like the same judge to get his hands on Fred Phelps..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit