To all elders, some probing questions on assault by a member by another member.

by FatFreek 2005 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Yes, Steve, many places have rape and assault crisis centers which are staffed by invaluable first responders for traumatized victims.

And that is the point of them - they exist - these safe places for victims, as a place where people who witness abuse can take the victim for help. A "young" sister who has been assaulted is not in the frame of mind to make a mature decision about who knows about the assault or who gets contacted. If a young woman/sister has obvious physical signs of being assaulted, or, as in the first case, reveals to you that a crime has been committed against her, your first response is to ignore her pleadings and take her directly to a hospital to get suitable medical care. I would never just take her home. She would be taken to a hospital, they would assess her and likely engage the police if a crime had been committed.

Hospital first - figure things out as you go but never, never just take a traumatized assault victim home. For all you know, the young woman who was sexually assaulted could have internal hemorrhaging.

Often, victims are not in the right frame of mind to make a decision that is best for them. Take a woman back home who has just been punched by her fiance? And then what? Wait for something worse to happen? Or, take her somewhere that she can at least see if her cheekbone is cracked?

Nope. Not me, I wouldn't take either of them home, regardless of what they said. I would take them both to wherever they would get the proper care. They are both in crisis and I would have no way of assessing what they would do to themselves once they arrived home and besides, the first "young" sister would need to have a rape kit done - in her best interests whether she thought so or not at the time.

That's the way I would respond.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Thanks for what appears to be some expert input -- to Under The Radar, Steve2, and OrphanCrow. I certainly hope none of these scenarios ever plays out.

• steve2
    steve2

Very good points OrphanCrow!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The answer to these questions is to call 911. I would let the chips fall where they may...

But, then again, I'm not an elder. Their screwed up values might lead them to make choices that make the religion look good. Never mind about the victim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit